What's new

Die Hard's "Why Letterbox" Just Watched tonight! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
What a great explanation and demo of the need to Letterbox and OAR. It's too bad the studio that gave it to us only a short time later Embraced MAR with their Single Disk P&S re-releases. Shame on you Fox

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I have been looking for this feature and I can't find it. Is it in the Die Hard Ultimate Collection DVDs or on the original non-anamorphic box set? I have the Ultimate Collection set. If it is on this one, where exactly on the disc is it?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Vic,
Disc 2 (Five-Star Collection)
MAIN MENU >> THE CUTTING ROOM >> WHY LETTERBOX?
There you have it! ;)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Vic-
The 'Why Letterbox' spot can be found on disc 2 of the original Die Hard film (the new, remastered 16:9 version). Go to 'The Cutting Room' and you'll find it there.
It always annoyed me how deeply buried this explanation is in the set. It should, IMO, precede the feature on disc 1. And it should precede EVERY feature that is shot at 1.66:1 or wider including P&S/MAR versions, to show people what they are not seeing with MAR. In fact, it may be more important to have this feature included on the P&S/MAR versions, as these are the folks who need educating.
[Edit]- Jeremy beat me to it! :)

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I got it.

I agree, this has got to be easier to find than this. If people don't know it's there, then what's the point?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Terminator 2 (Ultimate Edition) has an explanation of Super35, including a full-motion split-screen display that shows the full Super35 frame with moving outlines denoting the widescreen and 1.33:1 frames, plus windows showing the extracted theatrical and TV views of the image. Unfortunately it is also buried somewhere in the midst of one of the special features, and I don't recall where.
I agree the Die Hard explanation should have been accessible from the main menu of disc one, if, indeed, it didn't "auto play" as soon as you started the movie. :)
Regards,
Joe

Oscar

Second Unit
That was great from Fox. Thats what studios should do. ARE YOU LISTENING DISNEY?!!!!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Actually, Fox's recent P&S releases should be blamed on WALMART. Some of the execs there must be as dumb as their customers.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Are you saying that anyone who has shopped at Walmart is dumb?
Just the ones who maintain that Wal-Mart of all places IS the key to everything they need to purchase. I mean, cripes, have you seen the projection tv's they carry. What a joke. The only reason Wally-world took up DVD players and discs is because they had to (same with blockbuster, different story). I educate people everyday at work in regards to their wonderful pan-and-scan VHS tapes vs. OAR. Some listen, some are instantly converted, others need more convincing.

They sell antiquated technologies, take no responsibility in the education of consumers on future electronics, and really have no interest in gaining respectability.

WHO REALLY WANTS TO BUY CUTTING EDGE FROM THESE GUYS ANYHOW?!?

No thanks, I may stop by and pick up some shaving cream or dental floss now and again. That is as far as I am willing to go.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Actually, Fox's recent P&S releases should be blamed on WALMART.
I disagree. Wal-Mart asked for it, but Fox is the one who gave it to them.

If a child asks his parent to have candy for dinner and the parent gives it to him, who is to blame?

It's the studios who should be held accountable for treating what's been entrusted to them with disrespect. When Wal-Mart asks the studios for P&S on DVD, Fox and Disney and Universal, etc., should be saying a polite "No." But they have proven to be spineless.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Please don't forget that Fox put out OAR versions of all these P&S movies first (and a few were SEs to boot).
Fox is in the business of making money, as are ALL studios. However they have also stated that their commitment to OAR, as of now, is unwavering. So I really don't get all knotted up when they release P&S bare-bones versions of ALREADY EXISTING OAR DVDs. If that's extra revenue for a studio that has done us right with high-quality releases, more power to them.
Again, as long as they release OAR versions, I don't care if they also release P&S versions. And by making the OAR versions SEs vs. bare bones P&S, they still make the OAR disc more appealing with the added value features.
In an ideal world, we'd all tell WalMart to shove off. But thinking that it's that simple just shows that we underestimate the 800 pound gorilla that WalMart is. It's like telling Ticketmaster to shove their service charge (you can ask Pearl Jam about that fight).

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Yeah, I watched it today for the first time too and thought it was great, but quite dry for something to educate the masses. I seem to remember something on those cool new Letterboxed VHS releases that were all the rage in the days before DVD. It was a really cool MARKETABLE spot showing people what they were missing. That would be the ticket, you know?

Down with Pan and Scan Only releases!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
The DHT featurette converted my wife in 5 minutes after 4 years of my lip service. Visual education works!

Matt

PS - I was selling DVD at Wally World in 1997 as a test store. They changed their outlook at some point from "great new technology" to "must please soccer-mom(love that phrase!)" I had to leave them..sniff...sniff...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If a child asks his parent to have candy for dinner and the parent gives it to him, who is to blame?
This might remotely make some sense if Fox stood in the same relationship to Wal-Mart as a parent does to a child. But since they don't...

You have to realize that as much as we think of ourselves as "the consumer", we're really not the studios customers - not directly, anyway. Their customers are the retails stores. Fox has to sell their discs to Wal-Mart and Sears and Best Buy and Amazon.com before those retailers can, in turn, sell them to us. If Wal-Mart doesn't want OAR discs, if they don't think they can sell them, they'll give more of their limit shelf space to non-Fox titles. Fox can't sell discs that the consumer never sees on the store shelf. Nor can they tell Wal-Mart, "Tough, you take the product we want to give you." If their customers keep returning OAR discs because they think they're defective, Wal-Mart is going to take the path of least resitance and order P&S. The alternative is arguing with the customer. A) Most Wal-Mart employees don't know enough about this stuff to educate anybody and B) nobody has the time to try to convince a customer that a product isn't really "defective", nor do they want to risk the customer's goodwill by attempting it.

In both cases, Fox and Wal-Mart, the old business maxim applies, "The customer is always right."

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not to defend MAR, but technically, it's more complicated. The question really is: 'If a child is his parent's employer and threatens to stop paying them unless he gets candy for dinner, should the parent give it to him?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DK Baker
Recent bookmarks