Die Hard

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnChu, Dec 11, 2003.

1. JohnChu

JohnChu Stunt Coordinator

Sorry .. I am new .. but is there any different from

Die Hard (1988) DVD
    Die Hard (Five Star Collection) (1988) DVD

I am just wonder if the first DVD is the exactly the same one?

When one an company makes an new copy of the DVD movie .. is the newer one better then the old one.. or is it that it comes out with an extra DVD?

John

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to Software. That's where DVDs get discussed.

M.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Die Hard was originally released back in March of '99 with a non 16x9 trnasfer and few extras. In July of 2001 Die Hard and it's 2 sequels were release as 2 disc special editions, with the first Die Hard carring the 5 Star label. Fox has since discontinued the 5 Star lavel and is rereleasing all the 5 Star titles with regular packaging. So if you are looking at picking up Die Hard I highly recommend the 2 disc edition. The picture and sound are much improved on it compared to the first DVD.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Die Hard was initially released as a one disc, non-SE version. The transfer was non-anamorphic, and it had no real extras.

Die Hard was re-released later as a 2-disc "Five Star" title with a "new" anamorphic transfer, and a ton of extras including commentary tracks. At the same time they re-released Die Hard 2 and 3 as 2 disc versions as well.

The 2 disc version is the best of the available releases.

Often if they bother to "rerelease" it- the transfer or audio are also often improved-- but this varies case to case. Sometimes a re-release is the same disc with different extras or a different package. The only real way to know is to watch review sites, or hang out on a forum like this one.

-V

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The original Die Hard DVD was not enhanced for 16x9 TV (i.e. non-anamorphic), while the newer release was enhanced. Also, I think the newer edition features a dts soundtrack if that sort of thing appeals to you.

6. BobG

BobG Stunt Coordinator

7. JohnChu

JohnChu Stunt Coordinator

Thanks... for all the nfo.. I am just wondering where is an good site to read about the new releases... and Where can I find an site that have listed of all Dolby and THX Certified on the movies?

Thanks for all the nfo.

John

8. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

A couple off the top of my head, although others might know better sites for overall information on every new title.

The Digital Bits seems to have a lot of good info. I think they also post sleeve are for upcoming titles in a gallery.

I also go to Deep Discount DVD to look at their "upcoming releases" listings, accessible from the main menu. They don't always offer a lot of tech specs, but they seem to stock a tonne of stuff (though not quite everything) and you can always find some great unadvertised pre-order prices in there.

9. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

John,

Try DVDFILE.com. They have lots of info on new releases and reviews for most dvd releases.

Of course, this forum is a great resource for info, news and reviews as well...but you probably already know that [​IMG]