Die Hard with a Vengeance EE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_MacD, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I have watched Die Hard with a Vengeance for the last time, unless one of several things happen.

[*] Fox releases another disc in R1, without the frankly disgusting amount of edge enhancement that have plagued the previous releases.[*] Some kind member of this forum points me in the right direction in getting an EE free version, uncut and hopefully with the Special Edition extras.(in particular, the commentary track)[/list] Since the former is unlikely at least for the forseeable future, does anyone know of a version of DHWAV sans-EE? (PAL speedup is not really an issue to me, I notice it, but it doesn't bother me.)

EDIT : "Fox releases another transfer in R1" -> "Fox releases another disc in R1"

2. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

3. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

The 'halo'-ing on region 1 Vengeance is indeed apalling, and makes the movie near unwatchable even on a 28 inch widescreen tv. The thing is, I read an article way back (can't remember where) where the disc's producer said no post-processing had been applied to the video image; no EE, no noise reduction, nothing. So how the hell did Bruce and Co. end up looking like angels with their frickin' halos on this disc?!?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's MPEG-2 compression artifacting mostly, the result of steps taken during compression. Just like virtually any disc people complain about. Professionals do not call haloing Edge Enhancement. To them, EE is a step taken during telecine.

5. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Jeff: You are quite right with respect to DH3's telecine, I seem to recall/(did a search and found that) Peter Staddon questioning the telecine operators about the edge enhancement, which they stated that none was used during telecine.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Scott, there is an "or" missing in there

As in OR steps taken during compression, like low pass DNR filters