Die Hard Receiver Fan Tries Separates!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Lee, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

After using receivers exclusively for over two decades, I had the opportunity to get an amp for a very good price. I didn't hesitate in getting this Earthquake Cinenova Grande in my HT ASAP. It is a 5 channel 300W into 8 ohms monster. It weighs over 130 lbs. and was a total bitch to get upstairs to my main floor.
    [​IMG]
    It comes in a crate that is reminiscent of the Ark of the Covenant's government box. I had a female UPS driver somehow get it up my very steep driveway solo. My wife totally gave up on it and waited until I got home. It is an incredibly sturdy crate with metal latches and hinges...rope handles and metal strapping.
    [​IMG]
    When I uncrated it, I saw a giant amp that weighs a ton. It definitely weighs more than my wife. Despite the instruction manual's strong recommendation to have two people on hand, I brought it upstairs by myself.
    As can be seen in my HT link, I have a few receiver options to hook this into. I decided to put it into my main HT with a Denon 4802 and an Atlantic Technology 450THX speaker system. When I did an SPL check it was surprisingly almost dead on...only one minor adjustment.
    In my opinion, I noticed a difference that was very pleasing to my ears. There seemed to be more subtlety and detail in movies and CDs that I listened to recently. I must add though that the improvement, in my opinion, was not drastic. If I didn't get such a fantastic price, I might have passed on the separates route. Since I did get great pricing, I am glad that I have this upgrade.

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Very nice!!! Looks like a beast.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Michael: How much did you pay for the amp? Did you get it from Joseph S. at Earthquake directly?

4. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Drools all over Keyboard!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Holy cripes! I thought my Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 was heavy at 72 lbs. (and it is). Congratulations on a beautiful new piece! I hope it gives you years of audio pleasure.

6. Ron RB

Ron RB Auditioning

The difference may not be drastic now, but when you finally get a seperate processor I guarantee there will be a HUGE difference.

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Ya, that's what I'm thinking...ditch the 4802 and, dare I say, Outlaw 950?

8. EricK

EricK Second Unit

I'll be seeing this piece at Michael's on Thurs night...I will post my findings Friday afternoon for all!

Eric.

9. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I have had the Cinenova Grande for about 15 months using my Sony STR-DA333ES as a pre-amp and got exactly the same reaction, more detail. My plans are to upgrade to a separate pre-amp when the economy decides to change a bit. So far I've auditioned the Proceed AVP, Tag McLaren AV32R and have been reading up about the Outlaw 950. Of the two I have auditioned the Proceed sounded better but the Tag wasn't really well set up and I have to admit the Outlaw at it's price point is intriguing. I bought mine from an authorized dealer and also got a heck of a price on it.

Oh, I can vouch for it being a beast I had to enlist a neighbor to help me lug it up the stairs. Now I want to move it to another spot in the room but don't want to visit the chiropractor any time soon so I'm procrastinating the move.

Cheers,

10. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, if you didn't hear a major difference between the Earthquake and the 4802, might I suggest a trip to the ear doctor to have the excess wax removed from your ears.[​IMG] [​IMG] Crank your system to a very loud level and you'll see a major difference. No clipping, no distortion, far more impact and much higher SPL level, as well as better dynamics.

11. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Go Michael Go!!

Beautiful AMP!!

Supposed to be one of the best out there.

You should experience an immense difference vs the

Denon 4208..Personally I would mate it up with te Denon 5800 if you still have it.

These are now availabe at Audio Advisor. If they would have had them about 6 months ago I would have been all over it like a pig in mud!

Enjoy it!

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Anyone know where to get this amp for around $2500?

13. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

14. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I'm surprised you didn't find the improvement more drastic.

Last week, I brought home a parasound HCA-1000 (125x2) and hooked it up to my Denon 5700 and M&K 150's (front's only).

This was the first time I had tried an external amp in my system and I would say (on 2 channel audio) that the improvement was easily 30-40% from where it was.

I'm now selling the 5700, getting a 5 channel amp (probably parasound) and am on the waiting list for the outlaw 950.

15. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Thanks Trev-Just trying to keep up with you! I will put my 5800 back in right after I get the upgrade. The DPLII is a priority to me with my HD sources that only come in two-channel. When are you going FP? My new Sharp is awesome!
    I hope to do more playing, I mean experimenting, over the next few days. All local HTFers are invited.

16. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Ok gentlemen, here's the verdict...

We went to Michael Lee's place last night and checked out his new Cinenova Grande Amp. What a piece of equiptment. Thing weighs a ton and it is a true monster. The crate really does remind one of the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Anyways...on to how did it sound? It was incredible. Overall the music and movies were cleaner, clearer, and crisper. I would say this seperate amp definitely made a difference in sound quality.

However - I still am in agreement as far as price ratio to performance. It is a lot of $$$ to plunk down for one of these pieces and the improvement while certainly not minimal, certainly not "blow me away, totally 50, 60, 70% better." If I had to give it a percentage improvement I would venture to say 20-30% improvement.

Finally, I was very impressed with Michael's HT. Us locals have seen his HT go through many changes, and I think he has finally reached the pinnacle of performance. His setup easily ranks as a top HT of the forum IMO.

Eric.