1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Die Hard front effects, is it me or................

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Declan, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Declan

Declan Second Unit

are some of the front sound effects mixed in the wrong channel, as if the front stereo channels were swapped. Listened to it in DTS last night (the 5star boxset with 2 and 3) after getting it back from a friend.

A few things stood out at me. The plane at the start flys overhead from the rears, but is on the right of the screen. The sound of the planes engines roars from the front left.

When Powel comes out of the petrol station after buying the twinkies he throws the bag into the car and slams the door. The car is on the right of the screen, yet the sound of the door closing is very clearly and precisley in the left channel, this is surprising as the next scene cuts to the roof as Mc Clane is being chased and the sounds of the gun fire are perfectly placed, werid.

I noticed a few other places where the sound (just little spot effects) are in the wrong front channels. Before anyone says anything, my speakers are set up properly.

I found that this is the same with the Dolby5.1, DTS and 2.0 mixes. Although I remeber seeing Die Hard on tv a few months ago and the sound was the same. Plus the TV and DVD versions are obviously from different masters, maybe this is how it was all the time. Maybe Steven Hunter-Flick would be the man to ask?

Anybody else notice this with the front channels?

2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

This has bugged me ever since I got the original R1 Die Hard dvd. And I made the exact same observation about the sequence when Powell slams his car door at screen-right and the sound effect clearly comes out of the left channel - yet the gunfire in the very next sequence is spot on! I'm glad someone else has noticed.

This (aside from the terrible haloing on Die Hard with a Vengeance) was what most annoyed me about the new Die Hard Boxset. Fox could've created new near-field mixes for the movies on dvd, but they didn't bother, so Die Hard's basic errors stand out even more. And after the extremely hot-sounding (but never-the-less enjoyable) dts track on Die Hard, the one on Die Hard 2 is a real clunker.

The DH/DH2 remixes (even the dts versions) are relics from the Laserdisc era, with six-track magnetic masters used for Fox's early 5.1 re-mixes, or so I've read. The mono rear channel on these magnetic masters has been carried over onto these 5.1 mixes, and on most of Fox's efforts (like the amazing AC3 Aliens LD) you don't notice. But on DH2 it is all too apparent, and it cheapens the overall effect. More recent Fox 5.1 re-mixes were done the same way (like Predator and Big Trouble in Little China) but they don't sound nearly as bland as DH2 - or as hot as Die Hard, for that matter.

In this case, more effort was seemingly put in pulling together all the extras (good as they are) than the actual presentation of the movies themselves. And for such a premier release as a Die Hard Trilogy Ultimate Collection, it's a real disappointment.

3. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I actually enjoyed all the 5.1 mixes for the movies (even apart from the few effects going to the wrong speakers in Die hard), I though 2 sounded good as well, but With A vengence was excellent. As I've said before though, how could Fox (and THX for that matter) put DH3 out with such bad edge enhancement. It really is distracting.

Aside from those flaws the boxset is a big highlight of my collection.