What's new

Die Hard 5 in the works (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Big Die Hard fan here too & liked DH4 in spite of a weak villain IMO. But there are some really, really fantastic moments. And I love Bruce Willis. Just about anything he does, I like.
What surprised me is how much of the action was done practically. Today, if something looks spectacular, we just assume it was CG. Only the fighter jet scene in LFODH was primarily CG. The whole tunnel scene -- including the firing of the car at the helecopter -- was done practically with live action elements that were then composited together. I would argue that William Sadler's Col. Stewart was the weakest big bad of the bunch. The Gruber brothers are, of course, way above everyone else.

bosque

Agent
Real Name
Robert Evans
The scene in the tunnel where Bruce and his side-kick duck as car is hurled toward them but caught by objects either side didn't look very practical.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I too have to give it up to the film for doing most of the stunts and effects practically.

That shot you mentioned with the car flipping over and almost landing on them was done for real, they just composited Bruce and Justin into the shot.

Obviously there is just things in the film that would have been too dangerous to do for real but all in all the CGI was used sparingly.

Tim Olyphant, while a very good actor and was fairly charismatic in LFODH, reminded me of a crazed Ryan Seacrest lol.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Man, Die Hard 2 sure doesn't get a lot of love around here - this is my fav, after the original, of course. What is there not to love about it, I must ask? I think its the perfect action flick, all the villains are absolute bad-asses, the clueless airport security captain is awesomely played by the NYPD Blue guy. And its the only DH movie set in a cold, snowy environment, which sets it apart from the others and makes it feel fresh.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I love DH2!

It's the scope of it all that I love, it takes place on runways, in terminals, underground, on planes (inside and out lol) and on open ice fields.

Plus, no other DH film has even come close to equaling the terrible and diabolical act committed by Col. Stewart, no way would they have gotten away with showing that in a movie now days.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy DH2, just not as much as the other three. Weak villain, plot that's a little too coincidental (Man is trapped in the same situation doing roughly the same things twice in a row!), bringing back characters who had no reason to be there. In other words, a classic sequel. DHWAV got around that by not making it a coincidence, since Simon's whole scheme was built around John McClane as a distraction. And LFODH encapsulated the entire east coast, so it's probable that an NYPD cop would get dragged into it.

1) Die Hard
2) Live Free or Die Hard (Unrated)
3) Die Hard With a Vengance
4) Die Hard 2

is how I'd rank them. DHWAV pulls ahead of LFODH if you use the PG-13 cut.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If I had to rank them it would be...

Die Hard
Die Hard With A Vengeance (love that they actually filmed in NYC, it really feels like it's just a hot and crazy day)
Die Hard 2
Live Free or Die Hard (Either cut)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Okay, my ranking...

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Live Free or Die Hard
Die Hard 5
Die Hard with a Vengeance

Yeah, I didn't really like DH3 /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Die Hard
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard

Die Hard 2.

Adam, the intensity and action when Willis comes to bring in the kid (name escapes me)....is amazing too. From a tech standpoint, the audio on the Blu-ray is FABULOUS.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LFODH does have some great action set pieces in it, the scene where he gets Matt out of the apartment, especially the gag with the fire extinguisher..."That's gonna wake the neighbors.", the tunnel escape and the fighter jet giving McClane both barrels while driving that humongous truck.

Agreed about the audio on the BD, that's some LFE that'll melt your face lol.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
1) Die Hard (the original)
2) Live Free or Die Hard (the one with the computer geeks)
3) Die Hard With a Vengance (the one that isn't really a Die Hard film)
4) Die Hard 2 (the one with the snowy airport)

The fake snow and the inherently kind of boring airport setting of Die Hard 2 don't interest me. It was difficult including Die Hard With A Vengence in the list because even though it has some nice scenes (the walking billboard being among the best), it is clear it wasn't a Die Hard film, but an unrelated film retrofitted to be a John McLaine film. It is still good though, even if McLaine is whiny in it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Will_B
It was difficult including Die Hard With A Vengence in the list because even though it has some nice scenes (the walking billboard being among the best), it is clear it wasn't a Die Hard film, but an unrelated film retrofitted to be a John McLaine film. It is still good though, even if McLaine is whiny in it.
All 4 films were adapted from unrelated novels. I'm not sure why you would single out DHWAV. The original film's script even started its life as a sequel to Schwarzenneger's Commando.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Both of the books that the films were based off of were okay reads, Nothing Lasts Forever was okay but not as intense as the film and the character that eventually became John McClane was sort of a let down, 58 Minutes was easily the better of the two.

I cherish all of the DH film's, LFODH a little less but I still like it. I rewatched DHWAV the other night and that is the DH film that gets better each time I watch it, I remember not liking it much when I saw it in theaters but now I love it as much as the others.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

I cherish all of the DH film's, LFODH a little less but I still like it. I rewatched DHWAV the other night and that is the DH film that gets better each time I watch it, I remember not liking it much when I saw it in theaters but now I love it as much as the others.
Yeah, that was my reaction as well. I think it was off-putting in 1995 because it was pretty different than the first two. Those flicks made McClane the lone hero, while now he's got a sassy sidekick!

But while "DH2" looks worse and worse over time, "DHWAV" gets better. It's #2 on my "DH" list after the original.

Not sure whether I'd place "LFADH" above "DH2" or not. I think some parts of "DH2" but have a lot of problems with it. I'd need to live with "LFADH" more to place it more accurately...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Both of the books that the films were based off of were okay reads, Nothing Lasts Forever was okay but not as intense as the film and the character that eventually became John McClane was sort of a let down, 58 Minutes was easily the better of the two.
I enjoy this passage from Nothing Lasts Forever:

“She started to scream. Leland could see that she had never lived, that she knew she was dying without ever having experienced most of the natural course of life. Leland thought of his dead daughter Steffie and shot this bitch in the forehead above the bridge of her nose.”

I really didn't like LFoDH, not because it's such a horrible movie because it's not but it just didn't grab me in any way. I didn't like how McClane was suddenly characterized as a superhero, which completely goes against the "in over his head" tone of the character in the earlier films, and the action was too cartoony, which is saying something considering how over the top the previous movies got in some places.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's been many years since I've read those books so I don't recall that passage, I think that my love of the film may have colored my opinion of that first book, but the second one was closer to how 'DH2' actually felt.

I agree about some of the action in LFODH being too cartoony, they were fun but a tad outside the vein of the action in the past films. One scene that I absolutely hate in LFODH is when Matt tries to trick the OnStar operator to get her to start the car...UGH that was just awful lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks