What's new

Die Hard 5 in the works (2 Viewers)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I had the same thought -- McClaine in Europe. Maybe saving his daughter's honeymoon city from being destroyed. Working against that though is that McClaine seems like the kind of guy who would never leave the United States, not even for a vacation. Ultimately it will come down to whether Willis wants to sight-see or not.

Maybe he's abducted to Europe in some kind of rendition situation -- maybe to stand trial in a world court for always killing foreigners.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Sorry, I know this is a Die Hard thread but I have to mention one particular stunt in another movie that, to this day still boggles my mind. Like I said earlier, I don't let impossible scenarios ruin my enjoyment of popcorn flicks but this sequence had me in disbelief for a good 15 minutes after it was over. I all kept thinking was, no, uh-uh, no, wtf?. Its the prologue in Goldeneye where Brosnan careens off the cliff while on a motorcycle and "flies" toward the plunging airplane, gets into the cockpit and manages to pull it up out of the abyss and back into the air, averting a sure death! Or maybe what bothered me more was the time it took the plane to descend and not hit the canyon floor. This must have been one of the deepest canyons on Earth!
I remember that Bond stunt well. Remember, GoldenEye came out after six years of no Bond preceded by two very dour Dalton pictures (License to Kill was a great action flick, but it wasn't close to a Bond picture). Sean Connery said later that they left out the humor in both of them. Anyway, when the plane went off the cliff, followed by Bond sky-diving after it, I could feel the whole audience relax and say to themselves, "All right! Our guy is back!"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B
Adam, I had the same thought -- McClaine in Europe. Maybe saving his daughter's honeymoon city from being destroyed. Working against that though is that McClaine seems like the kind of guy who would never leave the United States, not even for a vacation. Ultimately it will come down to whether Willis wants to sight-see or not.
That's actually a really good idea. While it's hard to picture John McClane in Europe, that's part of what would make it interesting. The first two movies had a great fish out of water feel about them, something that was lost when things moved into McClane's own territory. And an excuse to put Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a movie is never a bad thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Blu-Ray of Die Hard 2 for $10 at Walmart yesterday and gave it a spin tonight, which confirmed its status as the worst of the four -- despite being very entertaining in its own right. The one thing it has on DHWAV and LFODH is Bonnie Bedelia as Holly. She was great in a pretty thankless role in the first two, and she's doing a great job as a regular on "Parenthood" right now. I'd love to see Holly back in some capacity for a fifth Die Hard movie -- and get McClane some hair!

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
didn't bill hunt over at the bits mention something about a possible new DH4 set coming soon?

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually wouldn't mind a Rambo/Terminator movie, lol.

McClaine in Europe could work, my question is though would they make it like a "Euro trip" type of thing where McClaine is running around all over the place like DH3 and 4, or have him trapped in one location ala DH 1 and 2.

Or maybe mix the two (Acts 1 and 2 are open-ended "wild goose chases", while Act 3 could settle down into a fixed location).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
John McClane and Jack Bauer together??

Nah, no, won't happen lol.

I have to say that while Live Free or Die Hard was good, it was at the end of the day a watered down shell of a DH film.

Die Hard films need to be four things, they need to be violent, they need to be loud, they need wall-to-wall obscenities and, the thing that bothered me most about LFODH, they need to be shot in Panavision anamorphic and not this Super 35 crap!

Well, okay, calling Super 35 crap might be pushing it but Panavision is what gave the earlier DH film's their steely big-screen sheen with bold lens flares, soft backgrounds and sharp foregrounds...all of that was sorely missing from LFODH which gave it a very hum drum TV movie of the week appearance.

Lastly, keep Marco Beltrami away from this movie! His music just, well, sucked in the last one, a poor poor replacement for the brilliance that was Michael Kamen and his thunderous and bold orchestrations.

But other than that I'm excited. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Live Free or Die Hard said:
films need to be four things, they need to be violent, they need to be loud, they need wall-to-wall obscenities and, the thing that bothered me most about LFODH, they need to be shot in Panavision anamorphic and not this Super 35 crap!

Well, okay, calling Super 35 crap might be pushing it but Panavision is what gave the earlier DH film's their steely big-screen sheen with bold lens flares, soft backgrounds and sharp foregrounds...all of that was sorely missing from LFODH which gave it a very hum drum TV movie of the week appearance.
All of those are stylistic choices and none of them are anamorphic dependent. The first film in particular used older, obsolete lenses to give it that look.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Making a sequel doesn't mean making a carbon copy of every film that preceded it. In fact that's usually the recipe for making a shit-sequel.

The reason DH4 never fully works is because they couldn't get McClane's character right. At no point in the film do you ever see anyone but an aging, bald Bruce Willis. That guy in those other 3 movies just doesn't show up.

And if he does show up, you need to have him in the right state. Namely bad-- stuck between a rock and the worst hard place you can imagine. His life was already shit when he woke up that morning, but now this guy is fucked and he knows it. DH4's Willis was always outnumbered but never outmatched, and the film doesn't even try to tell you otherwise.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, I've seen the unrated version and thought it was only a couple of notches better, not by much, the swearing felt tacked on to me, plus it got rid of the one line that I did like in the theatrical cut after McClane destroys the helicopter with the flying car.

I realize they were stylistic choices and IMO they should go back to that, I hate how LFODH looks. The way in which the first three films were shot is one of the things that I love most about them, they actually looked and felt like big screen movies unlike LFODH which to me looked like every other generic action film that we see a million times now.

Probably not a realistic expectation but that's how I feel, I've always loved the anamorphic shooting process and to me it and the DH films go hand in hand, the way they were shot is almost as much a character in the films as the actors were.

I'm making it sound as if I hated LFORDH, I didn't, It's just that in a few ways for me it doesn't look, feel or sound like a DH movie and it had specifically to do with how it was shot and their choice in music composers, I didn't care for either.

I had no problem with McClane in it, he was just...older, and that was the whole point of the film.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
they need to be shot in Panavision anamorphic and not this Super 35 crap!

I'm with you on this all the way, Hammer! The classic Panavision look to the first three films was so defining that yes, it was pretty much a character on its own. How do you take a movie series with such a distinctive look and just trash it? I understand that Super 35 can be beneficial, but there's no substitute for the cinematic feel of Panavision.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they do a fifth one, it should be in Europe at Mac Guy and Lucy's wedding. That way you can expand the scope -- the whole world! -- while also scaling back to a more intimate setting -- the resort where the wedding's taking place. It also creates an excuse to bring back Bonnie Bedelia as Holly, since she'd obviously be attending her daughter's wedding, whatever she feels about John.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Another thing, no sidekick for McClane this time.

Sam Jackson was great and Justin Long was mildly passable but they need to have him alone once again.

Regarding the plot, because they were so ambitious with the last one with McClane taking on cyber terrorists who wanted to take down the entire country, I have no idea what they could do this time. However whatever happens must be against McClane's will or it ceases to be DH and becomes Rambo, you can't give McClane an assignment, it must be accidental and he must resist it.

Lastly, try to work Al Powell in there somewhere, I always imagined that he and McClane became the best of friends after the first film but we haven't heard from Al since DH2. I've grown to really hate Holly lol, ungrateful bitch left him even though he risked his life twice to save her.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
I've grown to really hate Holly lol, ungrateful bitch left him even though he risked his life twice to save her.

To be fair, most of what we learn about John in the sequels signals that he's a most unpleasant person to be around when he isn't saving the world. He's definitely a mouthy pain in the ass.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

To be fair, most of what we learn about John in the sequels signals that he's a most unpleasant person to be around when he isn't saving the world. He's definitely a mouthy pain in the ass.
But the tagline for the first one said "He's an easy guy to like, and a hard man to kill." /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

J/K.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

Lastly, keep Marco Beltrami away from this movie! His music just, well, sucked in the last one, a poor poor replacement for the brilliance that was Michael Kamen and his thunderous and bold orchestrations.
Since Michael Kamen is permanently unavailable, who would be your choice?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Big Die Hard fan here too & liked DH4 in spite of a weak villain IMO. But there are some really, really fantastic moments. And I love Bruce Willis. Just about anything he does, I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks