What's new

Die Hard 4: Max Pain (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Max Payne was a great game (even though i got impatient with it at the end and started using cheats just to beat it... i do that with alot of games :p) )... the storyline was amazing, the whole atmosphere was good.
like the whole dream sequence stuff
You got that right, the dream parts just made me go 'Whoa, what were these developers on when they thought THIS up?!' :D
it was just like playing a movie... I especially liked that part when Max realizes he might just be in a video game.. :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
There is already a movie based on Max Payne being lined out. I don't think it is in production yet.
Fantastic!! This game was just so incredibly intense!

I have great respect for companies that (horrors!) actually develop a storyline in their games, and Max Payne is probably the epitome of excellent story telling and development within a video game. If a sequel has even half as rich of a story line, it will be a great game.

My only fear is that it will be so "Hollywood-ized" that it loses that strong, rich storyline and becomes a "Die Hard" kind of go-in-and-blow-up-the-bad-guys movie that is no different than other movies of its kind.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I just hope that if and when a movie of Max payne comes out that they don't go crazy with the bullet time effects. If they can recreate the momentum that the game has it would rock. I just hope they get an actor that fits the part. I can think of more actors that shouldn't get the part than ones who should. If only Michale Madsen (Mr. Blonde)was younger!
Slightly OT, but if you are done with the game, download this little mod for it.
http://kungfu.maxpayneheadquarters.com/
This introduces Kung Fu into the game. It's worth a try. Unlike the movies, Kung Fu is no substitute for a lot of guns.
Matt

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
As far as who should play the lead, well, it would be cool if they could get the guy who played Max Payne in the graphic novel cut scenes. I'm not sure if that same guy did the voice acting also though, which was first rate.
The guy that was used as the model for Max in the game was a Finnish guy (actually one of the guys who worked on the game), so unfortunately he wouldn't be able to appear in the film.
And, on an un-related note, if you think Max Payne has a strongly developed storyline, try playing Deus Ex - the story involves highly complex conspiracies involving world governments, armies, terrorist groups, Hong Kong Triads and various underworld cults... I had to play the game twice to get the plot sorted out in my head!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Slightly OT, but if you are done with the game, download this little mod for it.
http://kungfu.maxpayneheadquarters.com/
No one who has Max Payne should miss the Matrix Mod. You can get it at File Planet and various other sources. It totally converts the game to recreate The Matrix. There's new levels (including the Lobby scene), kung-fu moves, new weapons, including minigun, new bullet-time moves, and the bullets are now accompanied with the ringing effect as they speed through the air in bullet-time. I'd buy it if it wasn't a free mod. Check it out now.

Troy_S

Agent
Video game plots (yes, including this one) are usually either too thin, or too cliche to make effective screenplays. Max Payne seems a bit cliche to me (I played it on the PC and LOVED it but not for the story)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Max Payne seems a bit cliche to me
But the strength in Max Payne is the way that the story unfolds and the environment that is brought about through the storytelling. Everything contributes to the environment: the New York nights, the blizzard, the dark subway tunnels, the stylized comic-book sequences, and without question the music. (I really wish that there was a Max Payne soundtrack CD.)
I've always argued that although the story is not unique, the way that it is told, the different twists and turns, and the uncertainty of who the real bad guy is until you're almost finished most certainly combine to make it one of the most well-developed and engrossing games around.
Not that I'm passionate about the game, mind you... :D

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Willis to 'Die' Another Day
Bruce Willis is ready to die even harder. Willis and Arnold Rifkin's Cheyenne Enterprises are near a deal with 20th Century Fox to bring yet another installment of the "Die Hard" franchise to the big screen, studio sources confirmed. The deal for "Die Hard 4," details of which are being finalized, comes as the result of a title swap. Willis' latest project at Revolution Studios, directed by Antoine Fuqua, has gone through several monikers, including "Man of War," but the studio and the producers wanted to call it "Tears of the Sun." That title, however, happened to be a Fox property. Fox agreed to hand over the "War" title if Cheyenne would commit to a fourth installment of the popular and lucrative "Die Hard" franchise. There is no writer on board for the next actioner, which will be developed by Hutch Parker's TCF division.
Source:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1738921
Willis Ready to "Die Hardest"?
To Die Hard or not to die at all, that is the question facing Bruce Willis.
Willis is reportedly being wooed big-time by 20th Century Fox to take on the terrorists one more time in a fourth installment of the lucrative Die Hard franchise.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, it all boils down to movie titles.
Willis' next project, an action drama directed by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day), was originally called Tears of the Sun. In the film, the former barkeep and Moonlighting vet stars as a special-ops commander charged with rescuing a doctor (Italian babe Monica Bellucci) in the jungles of Nigeria.
But apparently feeling that Tears of the Sun sounds a bit too much like some three-hanky melodrama, the suits at Revolution Studios and the film's producers decided to change the title to Hostile Rescue and then to Man of War.
Enter Fox, which owns the rights to a property with the Man of War moniker.
The studio reportedly offered to fork over the War title. In return, producer Arnold Rifkin's Cheyenne Enterprises would have to agree to devise yet another Die Hard scenario for Willis.
The trade paper reports that Willis is "near a deal" for the sequel to the franchise that made his movie career. His reps refused to comment on the supposedly pending pact, but if Willis does sign, it would represent a huge about-face for the 47-year-old action hero. While on the talk-show circuit promoting 1995's Die Hard with a Vengeance, Willis vowed that it would be his final go-round as wisecracking New York cop and trouble magnet John McClane, saying he felt he had taken the character as far as he could go.
No word yet on what Die Hard 4 will be about (although we can probably rule out a hostage situation in a supermarket à la The Ben Stiller Show's infamous parody in which McClane's trademark "yippee-ki-yay" became "yabba-dabba-doo, yabba-dabba-dabba?"). Cheyenne will likely start searching for a writer soon.
Ironically, back in 1997, Hollywood was abuzz with rumors of a fourth Die Hard installment that was supposed to be based on the Tears of the Sun script. The screenplay, penned by Chris Gerolmo (who wrote and directed HBO's Citizen X), would be modified to fit the franchise. As it turned out, Willis did eventually star in the film, though it was never transformed into another Die Hard.
The Die Hard series has been a mega cash cow for Fox. The 1988 original, directed by John McTiernan, was a surprise hit at the box office, taking in $137 million in worldwide ticket sales and making Willis a bona fide star.
Renny Harlin's 1991 sequel, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, surpassed its predecessor, netting $117.5 million in the U.S. and $237.7 million worldwide, while Die Hard with a Vengeance (with McTiernan back in the director's chair) grossed $100 million domestically and a massive $354 million worldwide. The films have also continued to prosper on video and DVD.
Source:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10664,00.html

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
as long as the next film is NOT watered down i think it would be a great idea. i think i am in a minority but i always liked 3 better than the others (although i really didn't like 2). i hope this info is real..

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I think that most people regard part 3 as better than 2. I wasn't too crazy about Samuel Jackson's character, but it was still a better "buddy cop" movie than say, any of the Lethal Weapon movies. Still, they should not bring Jackson back for part 4. The biggest question for me is what English actor will be brought it to play the (preferably German) villain? Can Kenneth Branagh do a German accent?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also have no problem with a new Die Hard as long as they keep it on par with the others (none of this PG-13 crap...)

I also agree 2 was probably the weakest, but it still had it's moments. (The ejector seat part is one of my all time favorites.)

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
The script for "Tears of the Sun" which is now being called "Man of War" was at one time going to be the 4th Die Hard movie but now that it's being made as a separate film Fox needs to find a new story. This now opens the door for Fox to use the story from Max Payne as basis of the new Die Hard movie. What do you think?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
none of this PG-13 crap...
i don't think a sequel has ever had a different rating than their predecessor(s)...but that's only afaik. fox knows the success of the die hard series and knows that people will come, and besides, the first two sequels were r, i don't see why the third one wouldn't be the same.

BrentJ

Second Unit
I felt part 3 was the worst. I didn't like S.L. Jackson's character and I didn't like the bad guy. I hope the next one keeps along the first 2. Have everything in one place building, airport. Could be hard to come up with a good story on this series though. How much bad luck can one guy have.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I didn't like S.L. Jackson's character and I didn't like the bad guy.
I kind of have to disagree with this one. I thought Samuel L.'s character was one of the highlights, and the bad guy was pretty cool.

Oh well, let's all hope part four doesn't suck.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
My local news radio was reporting Monday morning that Willis and Fox had come to agreement over Die Hard 4. Rumored pay for Willis is a whopping $44 million, the highest salary ever for an actor in a single major motion picture.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Rumored pay for Willis is a whopping $44 million
wtf?!?!?!?!?!?!? has any actor even gotten 30 million before? i thought the highest paid actors were still in the 20s until now...if this is rumor turns out to be true. i'll REALLY be surprised if this deal goes through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks