What's new

Die Hard 4: Max Pain (1 Viewer)

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
I recently purchased a video game called Max Payne for the X-Box. The game is intense and has one of the best story lines I've even seen for a video game. The story behind Max Payne is a pretty dark one; a former NYPD cop, Payne comes home after work to find his family murdered by several drug junkies. After delivering swift and bloody justice to these drugged-up punks, Max Payne joins the DEA as an undercover agent to hunt down those responsible for the distribution of the drug, Valkyr. After only a few minutes into the game, Max Payne finds himself framed for murder and being pursued by the mob, the police and the government. So, like any cornered beast with nothing left to live for, Payne makes it his personal business to put those dealing the Valkyr drug permanently out of business. Wouldn't the story of Max Payne be perfect for a Die Hard sequel? Max Payne even looks like a younger Bruce Willis. It would take a great story to get Bruce Willis to do Die Hard 4 and I think this could be it. What do you think?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Yours is the first review of Max Payne I've read and it sounds great. I just might have to pick up a copy for myself.....

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
There is already a movie based on Max Payne being lined out. I don't think it is in production yet.

I agree that it is a great story line for a game. Quite disturbing at times too, like the whole dream sequence stuff.

James T

Screenwriter
How aobut this guy as Max Payne...
Link Removed
I saw him on First Wave when was running around with his black leather jacket and pistol in his hand...I could have swore I saw Max Payne in action

DanR

Supporting Actor
I think all those involved with the Die Hard franchise, especially Bruce Willis, have stated that there will be no Die Hard 4.

While were on the subject of Xbox, I noticed Game Cube goes for $150, are there any rumors of Xbox coming down to that price level?

Regards,
Dan

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I can't wait for the Max Payne movie. The game is possibly the best story driven game I have ever played. It would make a great movie "New York. Fugitive Undercover Cop. Nothing to Lose.". As far as who should play the lead, well, it would be cool if they could get the guy who played Max Payne in the graphic novel cut scenes. I'm not sure if that same guy did the voice acting also though, which was first rate.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
While were on the subject of Xbox, I noticed Game Cube goes for $150, are there any rumors of Xbox coming down to that price level?
Electronic Boutique is selling the X-Box for $150 if you buy Halo and another game with it. Another deal is you can trade in 5 Playstation 2 games or 5 Gamecube games and get the X-Box for $100. I did the second deal and got an X-Box, Max Payne and Halo for $200.

DanR

Supporting Actor
In a recent interview Bruce Willis was asked whether we would see a Die Hard 4. He said that he would consider doing it if the story was right. Don't declare Die Hard 4 dead yet!
Right, but what that basically means is that the "right story" will be a politically correct (and most likley PG-13 rated) piece of work in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. Thus, any Die Hard 4 would most likely stray from what we all love about John McClane and the Die Hard series.

Hey, I'm as big a Die Hard fan as there is, but the franchise is basically finished. It shouldn't be, but it is for all practical purposes. That's just my thoughts on the matter. It really bothers me that action fests like True Lies 2 and Die Hard 4 are being scrapped in order to be politically correct.

Regards,
Dan

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The story sounds a little dark for a Die Hard movie. Bruce Willis' character is all about making wisecracks while blowing away the bad guys. The physical abuse he takes is always amusing because we know he's a tough guy who can handle it, e.g. walking over broken glass with bare feet. We're never truly mortified by what happens to him because despite all the bruises and cuts, we know it's all in a days work for him. For his family to be murdered would be too much of a departure from the series' tone as we'd have to seriously feel sorry for him, with the character never being able to get beyond that sorrow. He'd become more a Richard Kimble-type hero, morosely pursuing justice and his family's killers, somber with the realization that he can never bring his family back. That's just not something I want to see happen to John "Yippie-kay-yay motherf*cker" McClane.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Unfortunately, I think the Die Hard series is at an end. There have been several stories that have been pitched to Fox, but were all rejected. One involved the McClanes being passengers on a cruise ship...but then Fox announced Speed 2: Cruise Control.

There was a really good storyline bouncing around several years ago...I think it was called Tears of the Sun...that they were trying to rewrite into a Die Hard script, but I haven't heard anything new on that in a few years. So, I guess we're stuck with 3...

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Why bother framing Max Payne for murder when he already is one? After all, he delivered "swift and bloody justice" to the people who killed his family, and then decides to put other people "permanently out of business".
:)
Sorry, but it sounds more like a Punisher rip-off than a potential John McClane story.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
When Bruce Willis was on Bravo's Inside The Actors Studio which was taped a few days prior to Sept. 11, he said he was done with the John McClain character.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Okay, you're going to think I'm crazy, but watch Greg Evigan in a movie called The Pawn (1998). The guy freaking is Max Payne. IIRC, the movie's storyline is even quite similar.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Yeah, you're crazy! Greg Evigan? "BJ and the Bear" Greg Evigan??? :)
Seriously, the resemblance wouldn't surprise me at all. I never thought Tom Wopat could look like a Hell's Angel until I saw the Dukes of Hazzard reunion movie..

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I always think of him as the guy from My Two Dads. I bet that girl's very cute now. Anyway, I don't know that he can act, but he did look the part in that one film. :)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I started another thread on this, but the story "Tears of the Sun" was supposed to be a Die Hard film. Now Willis is making it, but he's playing a SEAL team commander.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Why bother framing Max Payne for murder when he already is one? After all, he delivered "swift and bloody justice" to the people who killed his family, and then decides to put other people "permanently out of business". Sorry, but it sounds more like a Punisher rip-off than a potential John McClane story.
The people who killed Max's baby daughter and wife had guns and were on "V" a drug that makes you insane. I think he was justified to kill them since they had killed his family and had their guns pointed at him. Three years after the murder of his family he finally gets a break in the case and is told to meet a detective in a subway station. He goes there and the dective is murdered and it is made to look like Max did the deed. While on the run from the mob, the police and the government Max kills to survive while trying to solve the case. I do realize that this isn't like any previous Die Hard movies but that's why it's so brilliant. I believe, as does Bruce Willis, that there shouldn't be another Die Hard film made if it just rehases the older films. I think it would be risky to go the dark route but also very rewarding. I refuse to accept Die Hard is dead! Die Hard dies hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks