What's new

Blu-ray Review Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Collection Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Cinemark
Chances are when A Good Day..comes out on BD, they'll revamp the whole set and include that in.
Yeah well once again we in the UK get a censored film at the cinema as A Good Day To Die Hard has been heavily cut down for a 12A over here, i had no intention of going to the cinema to see it anyways but i hate studio's doing that just to improve its chances of making more money, i'll wait for the blu ray uncut release and hopefully Live Free and Die Hard ( named Die Hard 4.0 over here ) will be available in its unrated form too, sometimes i just think these studio's don't want my money.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I nearly got this on sale at BB, but quickly realized that I can wait for a actually decent box set after the fifth film is released. The first two films (the ones I really care about) have always never looked their best on any format. The current BDs aren't much improved over the 5 star and SE DVDs so I'm okay with waiting on those-especially if the 4K version of Die Hard is utilized. Hopefully they will also think to include original sound mixes, as the LaserDiscs of the first two are still fantastic experiences. DHWAV is perhaps my most hated DVD transfer of all time. Edge Enhanced to the point of madness, every person is a plastic faced mess, and you want to simply turn the film off every minute. The BD is such an improvement upon this that I couldn't care about any defects it may have.

sross2

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth Ross
Purchased them seperately from Best Buy to take advantage of the $10 movie cash offer (as I will be going to see it with my brothers). Die Hard 1 didnt play on my 250 GB Slim PS3 so I exchanged it thinking the disk was defective. The second one I tried still gives me the same issue: will not play. I have only tried Die Hard 3 and 4 and they work without any issue. I am considering calling a 1-800 number in my spare time to get this resolved. I'm glad I'm not the only one having an issue with this, and I am extremely disappointed!

WillFS

Auditioning
Real Name
Will Sopha
I took my 25th Anniversary Die Hard collection back to Best Buy. They tried disc one (Die Hard) in two blue-ray players that they had set up in their Home Entertainment center. One was a Panasonic and one was a Sony. Both players failed to play the disc. Same as my two players at home. So, I exchanged the set for another 25th anniversary set. Before leaving the store, I gave them a try in the entertainment center and once again both players failed to play the first disc. So I ended up returning the set.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Moe Dickstein said:
Do people actually like the second film over the third?
I Do. imo the third film was the weakest of the 4...still fun tho.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll always like Die Hard 2 for nostalgic reasons but I don't think it's aged very well and I think it's the weakest of the four. I like the third one quite a bit but without Samuel L. Jackson, it would have been in trouble.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, despite the lack of the unrated cut for LFODH, is this set worth an upgrade from DVD? Amazon is having one hell of a sale today, and given the reviews of the fifth film, I don't think I will be missing anything by not having a slot for it in the box.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
So, despite the lack of the unrated cut for LFODH, is this set worth an upgrade from DVD? Amazon is having one hell of a sale today, and given the reviews of the fifth film, I don't think I will be missing anything by not having a slot for it in the box.
If you have the old silver box then I would say yes. Die Hard and ...With a Vengeance are vastly improved on their SD equivalents (far more so in the case of the latter) and Die Hard 2 doesn't look too shabby either.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Moe Dickstein said:
Do people actually like the second film over the third?
I'm surprised every time I see someone ask this. 2 was a bigger hit than the original, got much better reviews than 3 and yet there are lots of internet posters who think 3 is a much better film. I don't at all. I find it poorly directed and badly written, not to mention dull, and the worst of the series (yes I'd even rather watch 4). Of course I haven't seen 5 yet and by all indications it's far and away bad.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I've always thought 3 was a better sequel to othe original with the tie in of the Grubers. I tend to forget the second film. Kind of like with Indiana Jones

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I just got off the phone with FoxConnect about the first disc not playing in some players. The representative was very polite, but he said he didn't know whether or not the studio had a solution to the problem. He of course asked if my player was up-to-date, but he also suggested "deleting the BD Data." I've looked at both my LG and Panasonic and can't find an option for this anywhere. I've searched around, and it seems to be related to local storage, but I don't have any, so that may not be an option.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Moe Dickstein said:
I've always thought 3 was a better sequel to othe original with the tie in of the Grubers. I tend to forget the second film. Kind of like with Indiana Jones
Yeah if you watch the original three back to back 2 doesn't seem to fit in continuity wise.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
[VIDEO]n[/VIDEO]
Moe Dickstein said:
Strangely enough I prefer Temple Of Doom over The Last Crusade which I found to be a dull retread of the first Raiders. Ok, who' s gonna say that Jedi is better than Empire?:D

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Gotcha. As far as those DIE HARD sequels go, I've always thought that the only story really worth tracking from piece to piece was the John/Holly relationship. The Grubers being tied into WITH A VENGEANCE was nice and all, but I like the McClane who is trying to save his marriage. It even turns out that Simon Gruber didn't much care for Hans Gruber. And it's the one that they unfortunately seem to have given up on. But in that regard, DIE HARDER seems to kind of fit if you look at them all as "A guy trying to fix his relationship and d-bag terrorists keep getting in the way on a semi-annual basis."

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I have a newer Sony BDP-S5100 and Die Hard would not play, although I did get it to play on my Sony BDP-S3100 and an LG BP620.

Go figure???

Does Fox have a fix for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks