What's new

Die Another Day DVD Promo (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Has anyone seen this on Ebay? It has some trailers and featurettes on it.

The packaging says:
"WARNING! Once removed from its packaging, the DVD will self-destruct in 36 hours!"

According to Q's letter: "By self-destructing, I don't mean the DVD will explode or vanish into thin air, so please restrain yourself. It's as simple as this: once you remove the DVD from its packaging, you only have 36 hours to watch it. Play it in a conventional DVD player or DVD-ROM drive as much as you'd like, but 36 hours after removal, you will no longer be able to access the content on the DVD. It then makes a nice martini coaster."

Is this possible?

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I know the idea had been bounced around for DVDs that quickly "rotted" (for lack of a better word) once exposed to oxygen. Some kind of chemical reaction was supposed to occur once you took the disc out of the package... Kind of similar to the Divx disc format, but you didn't need a special player and you didn't have Big Brother breathing down your neck (you had to keep your Divx player hooked up to a phone line to grant the viewing of Divx discs).
Cool that the idea seems to have gotten some use, but I don't see why MGM would feel the need to keep people from seeing their James Bond promo materials after 36 hours... Anything for the sake of novelty, I guess. ;)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
actually here in the UK there is a promo dvd for Die Another Day, so I would imagine that this would also be made available in the USA

Cheers

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, back when DiVX was dying, a company came up with an alternative to it. Basically they put a chemical over the surface that once exposed to air clouds up the disc enough that a laser can't read it in about 48 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks