1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Dido "Life for Rent"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason Garrett, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

Anybody pick this disc up? How's it sound? I was listening to the mp3s of it and it sounded pretty good.

2. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I think its ok. There are some boring songs on it but more then a few good ones as well. I would put it on par with her last one if not maybe a little more polished.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I've found her stuff OK, but not compelling. Would it be too fanboy-ish to buy this just because she supports the same football club I do? [​IMG]

4. Jason Garrett

Well, I read a recent article on her (maybe on her website) where she talked about how big of a fan she was of her club. She seemed to really be into it or at least they played it up. So maybe.

I really dig the "White Flag" single and I really dig her voice. I haven't actually looked up any lyrics for the rest of the tunes, but honestly I just like to hear her sing. I was just curious if the disc was produced well. I hate to go out and buy it if the sonics are crap, but the mp3 copy sounds pretty good so I doubt that.

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I agree with Rob. It's a bit more polished, but stuff starts to blend together musically and lyrically, a complaint I also have about the first album. The lyrics are included in the booklet, by the way.

Sonically, it seems fine as far as her voice is concerned, but I don't think her voice is geared towards something as uptempo as "Sand In My Shoes". It's worth the $10 at Best Buy, at any rate.

6. Jason Garrett

I figured it was good...just wanting to hear some reviews.

7. Jason Garrett

Well, I picked it up. I really dig her voice and I think this disc showcases it nicely. After my first listen I would comment that it's got some trippy effects that keep it interesting, but not so much that it detracts from her vocals which is her strong point in my opinion and that's the reason I wanted it. I'm really bad at picking up on lyrics quickly so I can't say much for the lyrical content, but I am very pleased with the purchase.

I've been getting more into 2 channel imaging recently (after my Dobly PLII interest has waned) and this is great material for it in my opinion. I like to try to get into the depth of the soundfield and for me simple vocals are easier to hear it with. By the 5th track I was sorta getting into it and there were some subtle effects that played well with it.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Late to the party, but I've spun this CD around a few time, and there are 3 clunkers, a couple of so-so songs, and the other more upbeat songs may find their way to the airwaves as singles (I like "Stoned" and "Sand in My Shoes, as well as "White Flag" quite a bit, and also "Don't Leave Home").

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I bought a copy and think it's greatest potential could be in curing sleep disorders....zzzzzzz!

10. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to poop on the haters parade but i think its one of the best albums ive heard all year ....I liked it better than Sarah Mclachlan's new one ...And I love Sarah !
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. kamyiu

kamyiu Stunt Coordinator

best album? all year? this thread is about dido, right?

12. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ben, I did listen to it twice to see if it would grow on me. I always listen to stuff like twice before I give up on it. I didn't hear a single song I liked enough to put on one of my compilation MD's that I exercise to....[​IMG]

14. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I agree w/John. Great album. Catchy music isn't necessarily a negative thing. Dido's new album is warm & inviting. To me, a band like Radiohead is really inaccessible. I've really wanted to like them, especially w/all the hype & critical acclaim, but their music is so... well, un-melodic.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't "get" Radiohead (to me, just they put out unmusically sounding stuff that leaves me cold).

Dido does know how to milk the catchy refrains of her songs (a staple in pop music), and they run through my head after I listen to some of the songs afterwards.

16. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I like the first one-but LFR just didnt klick with me.