What's new

Didn't think I'd like streaming......... (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
but I kinda do.
My wife bought me the 7" Kindle FireHD for Christmas, with Wi-Fi. We bought a Wi-Fi router from Sam's Club right after Christmas. I mainly got it so I could finally use my cell phone somewhere other than by the dining room window. We live in a basement apartment, and only place we've ever gotten a signal was by the dining room window. I would have to rush to answer calls, and with my COPD I'd be so out of breath, I'd have a hard time talking. Once I set up the Wi-Fi router, set up the Wi-Fi in my smart phone's menus, I'm able to receive and make calls from anywhere in the apartment now. It has made life much easier.

Now, I can also get my emails and surf the web, while sitting on my sofa, using the Kindle FireHD tablet. I like that a lot too. Computer is in a different room, so now I don't have to miss the tv while online.

My ps3 also has built-in Wi-Fi. A free month of Amazon Prime membership came along with the purchase of the Kindle. Of course, I used it a lot during that month. I like it a lot for streaming. With tax refund, I renewed membership when the free month was up. I've finally got to watch all the episodes of MI-5 that are available to watch. Waiting for season 9 to come online. We've also seen a bunch of Poirot episodes we had missed. We've only watched 4-5 movies. Already seen most of the ones that are free to members.

So, the Wi-Fi has been worth every penny we've spent on it. Especially for the cell phone service!
If you have a smart phone, Wi-Fi at your house, and have trouble getting a signal anywhere around there, go into the phone's menus and set up the Wi-Fi and enjoy better service.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yup, for me it comes down to the content.

New 3D movie? Definitely Bluray.
TV show? Streaming is fine.
Documentary? DVD or better is fine.

It's not a matter of or but of and.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We joined the streaming crowd last year. My Panasonic BD player supports several streaming content providers. I initially tried out Vudu for some movies we just wanted to rent. Then I signed up for a free month trial of Amazon Prime during the holiday shopping season -- mostly for the improved free shipping -- but we checked out some of the content included with that membership.

I bought my wife a Roku streaming device for the TV in our bedroom for Christmas and registered it with our Amazon account, and she loved all the TV series that were available, so she is hooked. I thought the Roku interface was a major improvement over using Amazon on my Panasonic BD player, so I purchased a 2nd Roku device for our main home theater. Since then, I have been watching several TV shows that I never bothered with when they originally aired, nor would ever purchase on DVD or BD.

The Amazon Prime service works well for us. It is a little less expensive than Netflix, plus I get the added benefit of the enhanced free shipping -- and I shop a lot at Amazon. I figure all the times I would buy an additional item just to get my shopping cart to $25 for the free shipping probably pays for the annual fee by itself.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Streaming is great for TV. Fine for most documentaries as well (our primary source of entertainment). For anything with nice sound and visuals, optical media is still a requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks