What's new

Didn't have to wait for the non-compete to expire...yippee... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Re-joining the ranks of "the employed" again. When I left my prior employer, I was given 18 months severance(on base pay...not including commission) and had to sign a non-compete for other wholesalers and a "please don't work retail" for 2 years. Wouldn't be fair for me to work retail in an environment where I could figure out cost of product without having to actually know cost(which would be unfair to other employees..at places like Direct Buy).

Anyway...since I know SAP/ERP like the back of my hand. Signed on as an outside client overseer for a food/cleaning product 3rd party manufacturer...that just so happens to be implementing SAP/ERP.

Nice and cushy to cash a check every 90 days. And get to work, mostly, from home...until there are internal issues with the SAP(mainly OE inside the premises...)

Yay. Sometimes it pays to keep telling a company "no" until the carrot is orange and plump enough.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Welcome back to the world of the working!I've not heard of an 18 mo severance / non-compete before. Very curious :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I guess it's the only way for companies to have any kind of plug in when folks are let go. Between jobs I got about 18 weeks of severance pay, it wasn't based on pay though it was based on years of service (although of course the pay itself is based on your base pay but the timeperiod was based on years service)... I spent the time off finishing up my bathroom and kitchen remodelling project and then got another job and moved...

Congrats on being employed once again!
Jay

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Welcome back to the world of the working!I've not heard of an 18 mo severance / non-compete before. Very curious :)
Basically...The wholesaler I worked for went from 11 warehouse and 44 offices down to 5 warehouses and 25 offices. In the span of 2 years.They didn't want their dirty laundry spread around the other CE wholesalers. The company I worked for shunned Samsung(when Samsung was still just a lousy product), Sony and TCL(as in refusing to distribute their crap...no matter what name was on it).So as offices were closing...they wanted to keep us from looking for jobs...and other wholesalers from trying to scalp business.There were(might still be) the number distributor into...AmazonMeijerCostcoHH Gregg(What the brand itself requires as them distributing it)Wal-Mart/ Sam's FryYou get the idea.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
When you aren't leaving voluntarily, and don't have a contract specifying the details, the severance package needs to be proportional to the length of the non-compete that they want you to sign.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ever wish you hadn't taken a job?

14 days in...

Realize that "soon we are moving to MRP" meant..."Sometime by Jan 2016, we will implement it".

Here is a 3rd party manufacturer that is running basic Excel. They don't even use any inventory extensions. Good God. I proposed adopting one(with pros/cons for some of them) and it was soundly rebuffed.

Here is a company in 2014 using Excel for 600 items it manufacturers. Each item uses between 7 and 21 "pieces"(cartons, shipping, bottles...product itself).

Not renewing this contract when up in April.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Working a project, early stage. We're talking to the vendor, a major organization. We ask them what they use requirements management; do they have industry norm DOORS or equivalent? (http://ibm.com/software/products/en/ratidoor) What are they using on this big project they've currently got?

"We're using Filemaker. It's been challenging."
http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/database-basics/mac-database.html

My head about exploded. If I'd been drinking, I'd have done a spit-take. Coworkers asked about my reaction. I speculated that perhaps they're Google Sketchup for their CAD work?

Sigh.

Good luck with the new job. It sounds like you've got a lot of professional fluidity in moving in and out of jobs. So fortunately you're not stuck in a situation ill-suited to your interests.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Put it this way.Using Excel for Inventory Control for a company this size is akin to playing doubles tennis where...instead of tennis rackets, you give them one of each...Baseball batJai Alai "scoop"Golf clubCricket bat.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Worst part of Excel. Unless you are an IT guy, you won't catch inventory mistakes for at least a week. And even then, more often than not, the only time you find out you even have an Inventory mistake...is you go to find something that doesn't exist.Seriously. They damaged out 40,000 pounds of candy back in September. Somebody forgot to take it out of stock back then.They spent 5 hours looking for it last week, cause it still showed on the books.

Users who are viewing this thread