What's new

didn't anyone watch Gilmore Girls premier ? (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I saw both episodes and while I thought they were both solid, I had some problems
- It seems pretty obvious that they are going to have to torpedo the engagement somehow, as the whole premise of the show is of two single women getting along on their own. If not, it definitely jumped the shark as who needs another family drama ? All it would be is "Once and Again" with snappier dialog
- I thought script went a bit overboard on the G-Rated David Mamet style witticisms. There were way too many zingers and snappy comebacks for my taste
- Too bad the Korean girl got shipped off. Her scenes and those w/ her mom were always among the funniest.
anyone else see it ?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm...this 2-hour season premiere was okay, but I'm pretty sure that Max Medina won't be around as THE husband for Lorelai when the dust settles. I say this because Max doesn't even show up in the main opening credits (they've added Paris and Rory's boyfriend Dean), and shows up in the guest credits after the commercial.
Highlights from the 2 hours:
Lorelai's stuff:
After much agonizing, and prodding (mainly from Luke's slew of questions - joint checking accounts, where to live, will she still work, etc etc), Lorelai finally says yes to Max on his marriage proposal, but this occurs on a phone call at the Friday family dinner, but she doesn't tell mom or dad, Emily and Richard, (though Rory knows and they jump up and down with glee when she clues Rory in on the deal), but blame it on something else. Also, mom and dad congratulate Rory for placing in the top 3% of her class at Chilton
At the next family dinner, Lorelai and Rory bring Dean to dinner. This visibly upsets Richard, and he's really grumpy. Then at dinner Richard starts grilling Dean on his college plans and life plans, but Dean can't say anything to placate Richard's demanding demeanor (he was very concerned with Rory hanging with a direction-less boy). Rory yelled back at Richard, defending Dean, which shocks Richard. Lorelai, Rory and Dean leave hastily. Rory was very pissed at Richard. It was their first fight.
Later at home, Lorelai defends Richard by saying Rory is the child that Richard and Emily didn't have (smart, going to Harvard, going to travel, etc) since Lorelai was a disappointment (getting knocked up at 16, never going to college, much less finish high school, etc). Rory is the "great white hope of the Gilmore clan" says Lorelai.
Emily inadvertently finds out about Lorelai's engagement when Suki calls and invites them to a surprise wedding shower. This upsets Emily in her own way. After Richard and Rory's fight, Emily tells Richard that he needs to apologize to Rory because their own daughter got engaged and felt that she couldn't tell them before the whole town knew, and Emily did not want a repeat of that to happen when Rory gets engaged.
At the next family dinner, Richard and Rory make up (and share a hug), but Lorelai finally breaks the news to Emily, but Emily is extremely cold in her response, and leaves Lorelai an emotional mess once again. Lorelai and Rory leave again, with Rory supporting her mom (they go to Luke's to cheer her up, but Luke is a bit on the grumpy side of this whole development because he really does have it bad for her, but can't really show it at this point in time).
Later, during a date between Max and Lorelai (she discusses how Emily dissed her, and she gets all wound up, and has Max drive her to Emily's place. Lorelai confronts Emily about her coldness to the engagement, and Emily tells her that Suki spilled the beans, and Lorelai realized that she doesn't have a leg to stand on to being mad at Emily and leaves.
At home, Lorelai has this wedding vail made of newspaper and she asked for advice from Rory, but Rory can only needle her by reading the headlines off the newspaper, it was a funny bit.
Lorelai shows up at Emily's later, sporting a couple of wedding vails, asking for advice, and after coming to some understanding about how Lorelai just doesn't know how to talk to Emily and Richard, Emily offers that Lorelai would look better in a tiara because of her head size (plus Emily also wore a tiara), and Lorelai takes the suggestion under advisement, and the healing of their rift begins.
At the end, Suki's wedding shower is a town-wide event, and Max and Lorelai were literally showed with presents (99% for Lorelai, 1% for Max if he was lucky). They were sitting in big puffy chairs amid tons of gifts. Max tells Lorelai that he'll be teaching for 2 months in Toronto during the summer (it seems that this point in time is the end of Rory's sophomore year at Chilton).
Rory's stuff:
On a Saturday, Rory volunteers to help build houses for charity, on her way there, Dean comes by, wanting to hang out with Rory, but Rory has this thing to do, but promises they'd do something that evening. At the work site, Paris convinces Rory that she's way behind in extracurriculars. Rory comes back, all grungy, and Dean meets her at the bus stop. Paris has really messed with Rory's head, and she's fixated on getting caught up the extracurriculars that very moment, and tells Dean that she can't hang out with him that night, and this pisses Dean off, they fight, and walk off in different directions.
Later, they make up at the wedding shower, Rory knows she got all spooked by Paris.
Lane stuff:
Rory bumped into Henry (the Korean kid that danced with Lane at that party from last season) at Chilton, and he was put off by Lane's mom when he tried calling her, so he gave Rory his number to give to Lane. At the end of the show, which had many little scenes leading up this: Lane got shipped out to Korea by her psycho mom with a one-way plane ticket and a bag that was literally big enough to fit both Lane and Rory and their luggage. (I don't know if this is the end of the line for Lane on the show, it would be too bad).
Suki stuff:
Besides putting on the wedding shower, she was egging on Jackson about how wonderful it was that Lorelai and Max were getting married, and Jackson took it that she wanted him to propose, but Jackson drew the line and offered to move in with her, but Suki just laughed and laughed until they were off screen.
Luke stuff:
Luke's heart took a tumble when Lorelai finally got around to give him the marriage proposal news at the start of the show (this is after the dance teacher finds out and leads the town to Luke's dinner to watch the fireworks). This is where he starts in on all the questions of how they'll manage to merge their lives. You could tell Luke was just in turmoil, but doesn't show it in front of Lorelai.
Later, at the wedding shower, Lorelia spots Luke in his diner, goes inside, and Luke is balancing ketchup bottles (pretty funny scene). They talk, and she invites him to come outside and share in her wedding shower. He relents, watches Lorelai dancing with Max, she see him, smiles, happy that he came outside. Luke finds a seat, and winds up sitting on a bench with 3 little dancers in white tutu's (another funny shot).
That's most of the highlights. I'm sure someone will come by and sprinkle in the funny stuff, or any other major plot point I missed. :)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I saw it and I was very disappointed.
I thought this was easily the best new show last year and if not the best show period, it was definitely on the short list. The season finale however was a major disappointment. It felt like they put the show through the standard, cliched season-ending cliffhanger sausage grinder ("Max and Lorelai, will she or won't she? Rory and Dean, will she or won't she?" Blecch!)
In this year's opener, most of the witty banter that made this show so good was absent as Lorelai went through the entire episode in a major funk. The show used to be cute without being cloying or too self-aware, but the scene of the whole town following Lorelai to Luke's to watch her tell him about her engagement was a real groaner.
Whatever you think of Richard, he always came across as a thoughtful man. His reaction to Dean, no matter how much of an emotional flashback he had to Lorelai's pregnancy, didn't feel real at all.
I hope this isn't the beginning of a major sophomore slump. There's too much good stuff to watch in this time slot to put up with the mediocrity I saw Tuesday night all season long.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and loved it (I made some comments over in the "Buffy" thread about how there's more to love in any random five minutes of the night's "Gilmore Girls" than "Buffy"'s whole episode).
I think it's telling that Mark isn't in the opening credits, while Paris and Dean have been promoted to regulars. Yeah, the engagement is going to have to be torpedoed, no question, but it'll be ineteresting to see how they go about it.
Also - it's apparently still June in Star's Hollow. Dean's voice changed overnight. :) It would be interesting to see if meaningful things happen over the summer, but apparently we're going to flash forward three months before next week's episode. Probably Lane will be back by then.
I'm just glad they've decided to make Paris a regular. Even if she's a miserable, hostile jerk most of the time, she's a fun character to have around.

My understanding that the actor who plays Max is only scheduled to appear in the first few episodes. So it seems that the wedding plans will indeed be torpedoed soon.
Regarding Max and Lorelai dating, what ever happened to Max be told that dating the mother of a student would be "bad for his career". Max broke up with Lorelai. However, later in the season, the writing seemed to indicate that it was Lorelai who broke up with Max.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
oops, posted this on an older Gilmore Girls thread since I didn't see this one.
Anyway, does anyone have a tape of the season premier they could send me? I'll gladly paypal or mail you for the cost of the tape.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I thought it was a wonderful premiere. I really enjoyed them not tinkering with it too much like many second seasons do. It kept its energy from last season.
Loralai's mother is still in top form and their relationship is still tense but warm.
Loved it. It's fast becoming my number 2 show behind West Wing (Buffy's starting to show its age).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks