What's new

Did your parents ever buy you a car? (1 Viewer)

Darren H

Second Unit
If I ever have a child, I'll probably do the same thing my parents did. They offered to meet me half way. Whatever I saved toward my own car, they would match. I got my first "real" job when I was fifteen and worked a series of jobs throughout high school. By my senior year I had saved about $3500, which, with my parents' contribution, was enough to buy an '86 Celica GT-S -- an amazing car in 1990 and still an amazing car two months ago when I finally traded it in.

I agree with Ron, but I can't stress enough how grateful I am now, and was then, for the experience of earning that car. My parents knew what they were doing. To them, a car (or, at least, an extra car) was a luxury. If I wanted it, then it was my responsibility. Besides, they were saving their money for something much more important -- my college education.

Tim Johnson

Agent
My parents didn't even entertain the thought of buying me a car when I turned 16. I had access to their 85 Monte Carlo almost every time I needed it, if I couldn't have the car (because they needed it) they would give me a ride to wherever I needed to be (usually work) When I was in college they decided to buy a new car and they sold me their old car for 1/2 of what the dealer would have given them for trade in. I sold the car in 94 and made $800 profit on the car.

My younger sister on the other hand was given a car when she got her learning permit. It was an 86 Chevy Cavalier POS. When the engine gave out after she drove it for about 8 months they went out and bought her a brand new Dodge Neon.

I'm glad my parents did not buy me a car, since they paid for college instead (my sister never had intentions of going to college) and college has paid me much more than an old used car at age 16 ever would have.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I must admit that my parents bought my first car, but I dont think it was a disservice. When you live in BFE and go to a school 15-20 minutes from home and your parents work, its either have a good, reliable (but NOT new) car or not be in any extra curicular activities... not a good way to stimulate growth during the formative years.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Times have changed.
Not true at all. It has always been like that in this country. The level of freedom afforded to youngsters is unparalleled anywhere on this planet. Kids have always been driving very young over here. Actually being born and raised elsewhere I can tell you that it is the perception in my country that every kid in america has a car.

--

Holadem

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I got a crappy old beat-up truck back when I turned 16... it was an old Toyota Truck (before Tacomas')... that was the worst truck ever, I really hated it, when my friends asked me about my power options, I had to say power radio... because that was all that piece of junk had... fast forward a year... no tickets, no major damage... my parents got me a new 2001 Rav4 for my 17th birthday, which I LOVE.
...of course it helps that my dad sells cars for a living ;)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
With four boys in our house, my parents had to do something about driving! Our rule was, they'd provide the car if we paid for our portion of the insurance. Now, I didn't need to drive anywhere, so I kept my money. My brothers paid for their insurance, and got to drive my stepmoms 85 grand prix (back in 96). I later paid, and got to drive the same car. It was good to learn in... a decent size, and built like a tank. Eventually, all four of the boys wanted to buy their own cars. In each case, my parents arranged "payment plans" with each of us. They'd paid for the car up front, and we'd make payments to them. All personal owned cars would also be insured in their owners name, so the rates would be a bit more as well. But it helped to build a history with the insurance agency.
All in all, I like the way my family did it. No real complaints. It taught us kids the value of driving, and financial responsibility. Also didn't place too great of a financial burden on my parents.
FWIW, my first car was a 91 mustang I bought in 98. Sold it in 2000 for a 2000 Mustang convertable. Love that car :)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I must be lucky (acutally I know I've been lucky). When I turned 16 back in '87 my parents bought me a '79 Mercury Monarch. Great first car to learn how to drive. Two years later when my brother turned 16 he got the Monarch and I started a run of K-Cars (I had two different K-Cars each bought by my grandparents). After the Monarch my brother got a hand me down Topaz from my grandmother that he just got rid of. I just paid off my "first" car after three years of payments.

I realize I never paid for a vehicle until I was 27 but they were never fancy and definitly never new. Gas was always out of my pocket and insurance usually was. In my house cars were thought of as a responsibility and not a privilege.

Think I'll phone my parents.

Mike

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
My parents didn't, but my brother gave me his hand-me-down, a 1971 Buick Riveria with a 455 engine. bad radiator, interior coming apart everywhere, 180,000+ miles, smelled horrible from all the stuff he used to smoke, looked like sh*t, handled like sh*t, probably worth $50 if that.
I wouldn't have traded it for anything at 16 :)
Cheers,
Paul

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
In my house cars were thought of as a responsibility and not a privilege.
Exactly. That's the way it should be. There's nowt wrong with buying your kid a car for his or her 17th birthday - if they deserve it, if they'll treat it right, if they'll drive responsibly.
But /demanding/ one because every other kid's got one is the wrong way to go about it ;)
I didn't grow up in the USA, so my experience's were radically different. As a teenager in a large town in Scotland, very very few of my peers had cars at that age. One guy got his licence & a car when he was 18, and he was generally regarded as being incredibly spoiled...
But then again, we'd better public transport & could walk to places - unlike a lot of the US.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think my dad did the smartest thing. When I was 19 (about 4 years ago), I was going to college in a rural area, living off-campus. Taking the bus was a real hassle, but I never presumed to ask my parents for a car (let's just say they don't make much).

My dad acquired a 1980 Buick LeSabre with 70,000 miles on it. He paid practically nothing and had it fixed up. That is, the car was awkward, old, and ugly, but safe (new shocks, brakes, etc).

He wanted to help me out with my education, and a car was a great convenience. It also helped me become a better and more responsible driver, so that when I was able to buy myself a new car, I got something sensible that suited my purposes.

Kids should not be spoiled. If I become wealthy and have children, I will not buy them expensive cars or clothes or any such outlandish luxuries. Kids must be develop character, a sense of responsibility, and a solid work ethic. Then they can appreciate such things.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Err, I probably shouldn't answer this. But, I have the coolest parents in the world.

They bought me a 1996 Ford Mustang, then gave me a 1995 Toyota Avalon. Traded that in on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport (which I totaled) and then bought me a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT. I will probably get one more vehicle out of them. Another Sport Utility.

I love my parents. I was extremely lucky to end up with them!

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I bought my first car when I was in college. I had access to my parents car in high school for special occasions, like homecoming dance, proms, etc.... Plus we didn't have much money growing up.
But I do agree with others that when my son is old enough and I am in the market for a new car, then he will get my old car. Which will probably be my Acura TL that I'm getting next thursday. :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I thought the majority of parents buy their kids a car.
I thought not, but coming from Sweden where you're not allowed to drive until you're 18, and most 18 year olds don't even seem to have a driver license, my perspective might be a bit skewed... man, American kids are spoiled! :)
/Mike

Alan K

Agent
They never bought me a car while I was in high school. My dad split the cost of a seven year old Mazda PU when I was twenty, and that was only because I had moved back to Los Angeles, where you cannot get around without a car. (According to surveys there are more cars than people in LA county.)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered: what the hell is the Swedish Bikini Team?? I've never heard of it in Sweden at least. I had no clue what a Swedish massage was either.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
My parents had an old Buick Century. They bought a new car and they weren't going to get more than a few hundred bucks for the Buick, so they "gave" it to me. Really, they only let me use it - it was their car and could be taken away at will.

However, I had other plans. I've had a job since the age of 14 and saved up the money to buy an '85 Toyota MR-2. Cost me a fortune - my parents had to finance part of it, as I couldn't afford the whole thing on my own. However, they didn't pay for it - I had to make the car payments every month. I had one of, if not THE, hottest cars at my school. They did allow me to sell the Buick, and contributed the $1200 we got for it towards my MR-2, which was nice of them.

Between insurance, gas, and car payments, nearly every penny I made went towards that car. I sold it a few months before my 18th birthday and bought a Pontiac Fiero which I've had ever since (and still do, although it's in pieces now thanks to another driver running me off the road in a fit of road rage).

Jonathon: Your parent's don't owe you a car. If they don't want to buy you one, you need to respect that. They have their reasons. Perhaps they can't afford it. Perhaps they want to teach you responsibility and pride of ownership by forcing you to buy your own car. I suggest you get a job, save up $1000 or so, then come to them and ask if they'll cosign on a car loan. If they will, then you can buy a fairly nice car for yourself - just make sure you can make the payments. If they won't, don't get mad. Go out and spend your $1000 on a beater if you absolutely must have a car, or, better yet, keep saving. If you work 20 hours a week and save all of your money, you'll be able to buy a very nice car with cash when it's time to go to college.

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks