What's new

Did your parents ever buy you a car? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, question is Did your parents or someone else ever buy you any car or truck when you were a kid or whenever? I mean I see kids that drive really nice cars at my high school, the cars could be older beautiful cars like a older family sedan, a powerful car, or a Camaro Z-8.

Newer cars such as BMWs or Lexus, Mustangs Etc These car look beautiful though. Now some of these cars could be Mom and dads car but I highly doubt it because they drive it everyday and when the kid is driving it what are the parents driving how are they getting to work.

The point of all this is that my parents are not buying me a car new or used Why? it may be because of where we live we live in a expensive area and what my parents salary is.

I do have $ in the bank but not enough to buy a good car and insurance, I will probably be able to get a car when I go to college but I would like one now and have a party and enjoy it, when I go to college I will not enjoy it I want it now. When I see kids that have cars it make me feel like I should have one and it makes me feel left out.

Should I accept it or should I go against it. Is it right or is it wrong both for me and for other kids to get cars paid for by their parents?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You need to accept the fact that there are those who will always have more than you and those that will always have less.
There is nothing wrong with parents buying cars for there children. Hell, I'll do it for my daugher when she is ready.
My view is this. I brought this child into this world, she is my responsibility to care for until she or I leave this plant. Does that mean I will just give her everything, no. will I help and support her if she needs it, yes.
Peace Out~:D

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
There is no right or wrong. It all depends. Unfortunatly for you, it depends on your parents, not you.

I got the old family hand me down car, and I was extremely grateful. It was a 1969 Volvo (244, I think). About 3 years later I again got the old family hand me down. This time it was a 1971 Super Beetle, and again, I was extremely grateful.

Do I plan to buy a car for my children? No. If they need one around the time I get a new one, I will give them the old one as a hand me down if I feel they would appreciate it and be grateful, like I was. If not, I'll just sell it or trade it in.

I did not feel that my parent were obligated to buy me a car. I don't feel obligated to buy my kids one either when the time comes. If I had a lot more money, I might feel different. If my parents had a lot more money, they might have felt different too.

I come from a pretty humble background. Lower middle class by most peoples standard. I have nothing against "rich" people. Spoiled kids that feel entitiled to lots of material things that they really haven't earned is something I don't condone for myself, but I don't judge others that do. I don't ask for much from my kids. Do your best in school, keep your room clean, a few chores around the house, respect everyone. That's about it. If they do their part, I will assist them in any way but my goal as a parent is to get you to be able to take care of yourself, not depend on me or others for anything.

You will learn that life is full of trade offs and compromises. Very few people can always get what they want when they want it. Most of us have to pick and choose, sacrifice and wait.

Should you accept it or go against it? If you were my kids I'd say you must be kiddin', right?

"Is it right or is it wrong both for me and for other kids to get cars paid for by their parents?

I'd be willing to bet there is no law that say "Parents must buy their kids a cars"

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'd never buy my kids (not that I have any :)) a car. If I could afford to do that, I'd rather buy one for me and give them the other one... if they didn't like it, they could always buy their own.
If someone else wants to buy their child a car, go ahead, I'm sure they'll be happy.
I think you should just suck it up and not worry what others have.
What do kids need their own cars for anyway? Don't buses and bicycles work anymore?
/Mike

Don Black

Screenwriter
I drove my mom's Mercedes every day in high school. She worked at home and didn't need it. My parents also bought my sister a Volvo station wagon in high school for use then and during college.

As a young adult, if you live in the suburbs, most kids will have cars. Some will have nice ones. Some will have not-so nice ones. Are they necessary? Of course not. But, speaking from experience, they do make life a heck of a lot easier.

Times have changed. Kids have their own phone lines, TV sets in the bedrooms, and ...yes... cars. Then again, I'm 22. What the hell do I know?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
My parents did not buy me a car. I began my first job the Monday after I turned 16 and saved until I had enough to purchase a car and insure it. Sure, it was a real peice of junk but the experience was very positive and I think it helped me to learn to be be responsible for myself. 14 years later I have fond memories of those days and my first experience with "pride of ownership", knowing that I did it myself.

I think parents who buy their children cars are doing them a disservice. Sometimes it's to get the children off their back so they don't have to give them rides, other times parents seem to buy their children cars as a status symbol. Either way, it doesn't teach the child anything to have it handed to them.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My parents bought me a brand new 1996 S10 3 door extended cab, it was a surprise and I hated every moment behind the wheel of that car. When I was senior in high school my parents took the truck back and bought me a 1995 Mazda MX3 and I loved it....now I am buying a house and soon after that I plan to buy a Subaru WRX....I am thankful that my parents bought me a car as are they as they didn't have to worry about me being broken down on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
beutiful said:
to answer your question, yes my parents bought me a car when i turned sixteen. i never took it for granted and was very appreciative to receive it. it was a used 89 sundance and i am still driving it to this day. it looks a little beat, but it's mine. one point i'd like to make is in regard to your not being able to enjoy it at college. i had more fun in college than i ever did in high school. high school is a talent show for preps and pricks. college is in a lot of ways like high school, you just have a bigger (and more diverse) group of friends, no pretense, you're free to learn and grow as a person having your own freedoms (unless you live with mom and dad during college). car or not, you'll have fun in college. i'd also like to note, that in order to get into college...you need to know how to spell it!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
My Dad bought me a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger with a slant 6 (225 ci) with 99,000 miles back in 1985. And I couldn't have been prouder!!

My brother now owns the car, I souped it up at about 140,000 miles and the car still runs great today with 350,000 miles on the clock!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
This must be a U.S. thing. I've never known anyone whose parents bought them a car. :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
In 1993 when I was 19 my step-mother bought a new Cherokee jeep. She had a fully loaded 1983 Thunderbird(the first year of the new look) and sold it to me for $1.00. She looked into trading it in but realized she wouldn't get much.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I think parents who buy their children cars are doing them a disservice. Sometimes it's to get the children off their back so they don't have to give them rides, other times parents seem to buy their children cars as a status symbol. Either way, it doesn't teach the child anything to have it handed to them.
I disagree. Just because you as a parent give something (a car) to your kids does not mean that you are not teaching them anything. Teaching begins way before this.
Peace Out~:D

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I also agree with Ron's post.

I thought the majority of parents buy their kids a car.

I think my Dad bought me a car, ensuring himself that I wouldn't be at home all the time bugging him.

I feel if you have a 16 or 17 year old that is getting good grades in school and is staying out of trouble, I think they deserve a car!

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Why? it may be because of where we live we live in a expensive area and what my parents salary is.
Welcome to The Real World 101. You get an A for clarity, brevity and sincerity.
I second the comment about your spelling. A little effort goes a long way. So does a dictionary. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
. Either way, it doesn't teach the child anything to have it handed to them.

I disagree.

My parents bought me a car and it wasn't for status or to get me off their backs. They bought it (a used inexpensive one BTW) because they knew it would mean a lot to me. They also knew, because they had taught me from the start, that I knew the value of things and would respect and care for my belongings. The car helped re-inforce the ideas of responsibility, maturity, and the ideals of caring for expensive items. It also helped me mature and become more independent.

Obviously, this will not be the same for all (most?) teens.

But there is nothing intrinsically wrong with parents buying a car for their kids if it fits within their budget. Of course, they don't "owe" it to their kids and if finances don't permit it, then there's nothing wrong with that either.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
A troubling thought, no matter how you look at it.
;)
I was only half playing, My father was a professional Drag Racer my whole life, and always said if I did good in school, he would buy me a car and help me soup it up.
Well he bought me the car, but his new wife occupied his time and he sold his race car and got out of the game, and our time to build me a hot rod never really came. So looking back maybe I do have some troubling memories......
Can I have a hug?
:)

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Times have changed. Kids have their own phone lines, TV sets in the bedrooms, and ...yes... cars.
They haven't changed that much. At least not recently. I had a phone at age 10 (1973), a television at 13 (1976) and a hand me down car at 17 (1980).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks