1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Did you upgrade for DPL2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis H., Nov 14, 2001.

1. Dennis H.

Dennis H. Auditioning

When I bought my home theater system 2 years ago, I was pumped about the idea of watching TV shows (Simpsons, X-Files, Fox NFL) in their surround sound glory. Well, I've been less than impressed with DPL. I was hoping by this point in time we'd be well on our way in the transition to digital TV, and DD5.1 for most channels. Well, since that's obviously not the case, I've been considering upgrading to a system with DPL2. Most of my viewing is stereo TV (networks and DirecTV). Is DPL2 the real deal? Is it worth upgrading to get it?

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

IMO, it's not worth upgrading for. However, as it turns out I'm glad I did the upgrade because my new receiver, the Kenwowod VR-507, included an unexpected bonus for me, 5.1 Circle Surround. It seems to me that it engages the surround speakers more than DPL II.....I like what it adds to movies and TV shows. Of course, this is very subjective so you'll certainly get some differing opinions on this subject.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

My opinion: It's not worth it to upgrade just to get PL2. But if you're looking for a new receiver anyway and you're not restricted to an ultra-low budget then its worthwhile to pick one with PL2.
    For television broadcasts, I find that there's just not a lot of effects recorded into the soundtrack. PL2 certainly does a good job extracting whats there.

4. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Absolutely. DPL2 is the best thing
    to happen to HT in many moons
    especially for channels such as
    HBO and CINEMAX. I upgraded a
    Onkyo 787 for a 898 and couldn,t
    be happier. Go for it you won,t
    be disappointed.
    ------------------
    Jerry

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I don't think DPL2 is reason enough to upgrade your receiver if you're already pretty happy with what you have.
    For instance, right now I've got an Onkyo 575x but I'm saving for a 797 and a nice 2 channel amp. That upgrade will boost me up to seperates (partially), get me DD EX, DTS ES, DPL2, and double the wattage to my mains (I'm getting a 2x150W amp). All those things combined, I believe, justify an upgrade in gear.
    But hey, who really needs "justification"? Many people around here change out their receivers, DVD players, and other gear more often than they change their underwear. [​IMG] It all depends on what you want to get out of this hobby and how much you're willing to spend in time and money to get it.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

YES!!!
    In August, I upgraded my Denon 3300 to a 3802, mainly because I wanted to try DPL II. I still watch and listen to a lot of 2 channel sources. And, I was curious just how much of an improvement DPL II might be. I was very pleased with the improvement! Like any surround mode, the quality of the source does affect what you end up with. But if you have a good true stereo source, DPL II sounds noticeably better than old DPL. The best way I can describe it is that it is more open and spacious. You can clearly tell that the rears are stereo, not mono. Yet there is no added echo like you get on so many DSP modes.
    The bulk of my 2 channel listening is video based. I do like DPL II on 2 channel music, but I am kind of an old geezer when it comes to 2 channel. Overall, I still like it in plain old stereo. (But if you think about it, the 2 channel music side of the equation is far more subjective anyway (since it wasn't mixed with surround decoding in mind.))
    Bottom line is that I liked DPL II so much that I changed receivers in my bedroom system to add it there too!

7. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded my system to go from DPL to DPL2 (and DD and DTS and 7 channels, etc.) Actually I went from a Denon 1200 pro-logic receiver to a Denon 4802. I was ready to upgrade in May but I waited until DPL2 came out. And I'm glad I did.
    I use DPL2 a lot for 2 channel music and TV and I've been very pleased with the results. The concert mode on my 1200 was great for 2 channel music but I don't like the special modes on the 4802. They all sound way too exaggerated.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I didn't upgrade just to get DPLII, but it was a factor in my new receiver decision. I do not use it all that much, however, and I am not all that impressed with it, though it is a definite improvement over DPL. This could have something to do with the fact that the VCR has been relegated to the bedroom system and I never listen to the TV via the stereo.
    I prefer CS5.1 also (Marantz SR6200).
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

9. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

If you watch a lot of premium channels on cable/DSS, then I'd say DPL2 is worth the upgrade. I went from a DD-only JVC receiver to the DD/DTS/DPL2 Onkyo TX-DS595, and I couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Goodness No... but I don't mind that it is there.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on November 15, 2001 at 11:12 AM]

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

No, I upgraded for the DTS-ES processing capability, but DPLII was a HUGE bonus!!! I am really surprised at how well it handles 2 channel DVDs/CDs, TV broadcasts and most importantly, DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket programming. When watching Sunday Ticket, I feel like someone has dropped me right on the 50 yard line! I really like the way DPLII has the commentators locked in the center channel with no reverb and then the rest of the channels take care of the ambient, crowd noise. Although I didn't upgrade for DPLII processing, in hindsight it would be a tougher call after hearing what I've heard from it.