What's new

DId you tip the delivery guys for your rptv? (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I always tip people who are doing something I could have done myself. People that carry groceries out to your car, pizza delivery guys, etc, are all things I could have done but choose not to. TV delivery is the same thing, I could have picked it up...

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
OK - I understand your reasoning and will tip - however just to debate a point.
I'm already paying them $45 and they are just doing their job. It's not like a waitress or pizza guys that make most of their money delivering.
I can see paying EXTRA if they have to do something above and beyond the normal (like basement or upstairs).
Please don't think I'm being an ass as I do tip alot and often but I was a delivery guy (furniture) and I NEVER expected a tip, I was just doing my job.
Just a point of arguement - that's all - I like to stir things up.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
All my guy did was lower it off the back of the truck with the electronic liftgate. He didnt do JACK after that, so he got JACK!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I paid a fee for delivery, so no I didn't tip the delivery guys. It was a service that I paid extra for when I bought the TV.

Also, ever since Dominos added a 50 cent fee to deliver their pizza, I've stopped tipping them as well. I consider it an extra fee.

Peace,

DM

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Dave - don't stop tipping the pizza guy's. They are the ones getting skrewed and not Domino's. Wear and tear on the car (normally on it's last legs anyway) and the danger of being a pizza guy (normally no insurance).

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I paid the tip up-front. There were two options. 1-They would deliver the set at your door. 2-They would deliver the set and place it wherever you choose. I chose option No. 2 and since it cost more, I counted that as a tip.

Bruce

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I always offer a tip, usually $20 for furniture, appliances, rptvs, even if the store does have a delivery charge.

Some delivery guys accept it, some don't.

My tvs have to be hauled 100 yards from a parking area, in the front door, out the living room patio door, and back in the family room patio door due to layout of my house, and it's a major hassle.

If the delivery guys just dropped it off in the parking lot, they'd get no offer of a tip, of course.

Pizza delivery guys get 15-20%, same as a waitperson in a restaurant. These guys get minimum wage, have to drive and maintain their own cars, and risk their lives in my part of town. Also my place is a bit hard to find.

ken t

Agent
I tipped the Sears delivery guys on the 1st 36inch Panny. Then when I had that one returned and another delivered, I tipped again only to learn that this 2nd Panny had the same geometry issues as the 1st! I called and Sears offered another set. When I mentioned that I didn't want to take another gamble on receiving a defective set since it was costing me money through tipping, the rep told me that the delivery crew is not supposed to accept monetary tips. He stated that this was against store policy and they stress this to their delivery crews...

Of course they took my money without question!

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I always tip. To me, if I can afford to spend over a thousand dollars on myself on a tv, new furniture, or something else that is somewhat extravagant, then I can afford to tip the people who take bring it to my house and carefully put it where I ask them to.

just my 2 cents.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I don't know where you guys bought your TVs from, but my TV delivery included unwrapping, placement, and basic setup. Free too (after a little haggling). And no, I didn't tip. They aren't pizza delivery boys who make 30+ deliveries a night; they do maybe a third of that. They are paid better than food service workers and do not rely on tips to make a good wage.

JohnDPug

Grip
I did. When I bought the KV40XBR700 from a not so local dealer, they asked me when I wanted it delivered without the +/- 5 hours bs. They promised delivery at 12:00 noon and called me from the road to make sure I was home to accept. They were 15 minutes early (no easy feat in the NY metro area during road repair season). They assembled my stand, uncrated the beast, lifted and set it on the stand in place. Even screwed the coax in, flipped it on and set up the channels to make sure everything was ok. In and out in 15 minutes.

Tips are based on the level of service provided in my opinion. This is my idea of excellent service.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
The guy that delivered my Wega told me right away that he would only be taking it to my door (about 20 feet from the truck). He was laughing out loud telling me about people who dare to ask him to carry it upstairs or set it up for them. I wasn't asking, but he felt the need to elaborate on just how unreasonable he thought people were who would ask such a thing of him.

He brought it to my door and I dragged it inside. Having heard about the problems many Wegas had, I asked him to wait 5 minutes so I could plug it in and turn it on before I signed for it. He said, "We don't do that."

I didn't tip him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks