What's new

Did you manually ever have to turn off subtitles during a movie? (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I have the R2 version of Night Hawks. It has English subtitle tracks for the deaf and hard of hearing plus German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish. During two scenes in the movie when characters are speaking French English subs come onto the screen to translate. Than the subs (English) stay on. I have to manually turn them off through the remote. THe next foreign language scene comes up and the same thing happens when it is over. I have tried everything to over ride this but nothing. Is this a defect in the disc manufacturing? The machine I have is a JVC XV-S500 multi code player.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is a bug in one of the authoring systems that causes that on some players, same thing happened with Spy Game and a few other titles. Call JVC, see if they can patch your firmware or since you're modded, probably want to call the software vendor

HankM

Second Unit
So it is the way the disc was manufactured. This dvd looks like it was done cheap but at least I can see it in 1.85:1 (16:9 enhanced) unlike the R1 Goodtimes 4:3 version.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I have the same problem with my XV-S500BK. It occurs with pretty much every disk (Ronin, Black Hawk Down etc) that make use of subtitles. I have heard that the most recent firmware upgrade takes care of this problem BUT when you call JVC have have to be very persistent in order to get someone who evens is aware of the problem.

Michael.

HankM

Second Unit
Is there any web sites that post firmware upgrades for the JVC. I got the newest firmware for my Panny RP-91 off the web, I burned onto a CD-R.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Some of my DVD's seem to have default subs, especially Columbia, but only when played back on the Apex 600A.

MattHR

Screenwriter
So it is the way the disc was manufactured. This dvd looks like it was done cheap but at least I can see it in 1.85:1 (16:9 enhanced) unlike the R1 Goodtimes 4:3 version.
Hank,
I saw NIGHTHAWKS (R2)on Blackstar's site, but it doesn't list it as widescreen. Is this the same version
as yours? Could you let me know the catalog # of your dvd
so I can check it against their listing? I would love to have this movie in 16x9 OAR.

Also, any idea how the transfer compares to the GoodTimes dvd?

Thanks,
Matt

HankM

Second Unit
Matt,
My Night Hawks is Region 2 & 4 encoded in PAL format. The one Black Star lists is the same. UPC code is 3 259190 360792 > I never seen the Goodtimes version, the 4:3 transfer always turn me away. I'm a OAR guy. This version is Universal, the sound is mono.
This is a good region comparison site:
Link Removed

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
So far, I've only had to do that once and that was with Black Hawk Down. I thought I'd never get rid of the subtitles, but I must have hit upon the right set of sequences, i.e., button pushing, and got them turned off.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have a Pioneer DV-434. I only have a problem that some disks start off with all subtitles on, right after putting the disk in and starting the movie, then I have to turn them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks