What's new

Did you like About Schmidt or Sideways?... (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
Actuallu politics and film have a strong correlation. A dem might feel offended by John Wayne's Green Berets, Rambo part 2, or Patton, and a Republican might be offended by About Schmidt. Of course these are generalizations, but Paynes movies do have a very strong Liberal bias to them in my opinion. Doesnt mean A Republican will never appreciate their humor or even their sensability, just an obsrvation on my part.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it probably doesn't. some people can't help but look at something and try to categorize it as democrat or republican. usually, that is their basis for praising/trashing the material being judged. people should keep politics to themselves, especially when it has absolutely no relevance to this topic.

CJ

chris winters

Second Unit
I mean no offense, maybe politics has no place in this forum, but I do find Paynes movies very political. If we are discussing his movies, and why some might be offended by them, in any kind of detail, politics, etc...may enter into it. Cant get more politcal then his satire Citizen Ruth.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
well, politics play a big role in that movie. if you are finding any kind of political message in his other films, you are looking too hard.

CJ

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If anything, satire in Sideways would be pointed towards the stereotypical West Coast Liberal.

chris winters

Second Unit
"If anything, satire in Sideways would be pointed towards the stereotypical West Coast Liberal."

true, Payne can be an equal oppurtunity offender. I still find his overall tone and worldview decidedly more left then right.

Miles may be a satirical slam against neurotic west coast liberals, but the crude sex scene I mentioned above cleared attacks more conservative types in a much stronger manner. Miles at least generates some sympathy and a possible happy ending. A recent movie that skewers west coast liberal types much more harshly is Spanglish. All in my humble oppinon of course.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's personal information we didn't need to know about you.

No more political talk!

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks