Did you like About Schmidt or Sideways?...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Beck, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Auditioning

I hope this is of interest to some of you.

I'm a big fan of Alexander Payne's work, which includes "Sideways," "About Schmidt," "Election," "Citizen Ruth," and some other, lesser know films. A few months ago, I was looking around the net for various information about him, but everything was scattered across hundreds of websites.

I decided to take it upon myself and design a comprehensive website with photos, interviews, articles, videos, and information about Payne and his films.

There is also a message board. The link is below (in my signature).

Feel free to stop by and check it out. Thanks!

2. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Loved Election. Hated About Schmidt and enjoyed Sidways.

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Best wishes for your project Scott.

In my opinion, About Schmidt is a modern classic. One of those films that I stop to watch when it's on cable. Nicholson was incredible in this. A film that all generations can enjoy. Best watched on video so you can fast forward through the hot tub scene [​IMG]

Sideways was mildly amusing, but nothing spectacular. I really couldn't connect with any of the characters. It's probably one of those movies that either totally works for you or it doesn't. When we watched it in the theater it seemed like half the audience was going "what the heck" and the other half was laughing uproariously.

Steve

4. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

I loved About Schmidt as well. Out of all the movies I've seen in my life (and I've seen a fairly large number), I believe it has one of the three best endings I've ever seen. That ending makes me teary.

5. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I loved ABOUT SCHMIDT, but didn't see SIDEWAYS.

6. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

The same goes for me. But I know I'm gonna love 'Sideways'. The trailer told me this.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Took an active disliking to About Shmidt and what it represented, and refuse to see Sideways as a result.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Would you please elaborate?!

--
    H

9. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Auditioning

About Schmidt is definitely my favorite -- it's incredibly powerful, and a perfect depiction of "ordinary characters," as compared to many contemporary studio pics who care more about box office intake.

"Sideways" was terrific as well. It has some of the most realistic characters and writing seen in recent cinema. "Election" and "Citizen Ruth" were very good too.

Anyone seen his older stuff -- his short films for Playboy??

10. Matt Thompson

Matt Thompson Stunt Coordinator

I love Election, though I'm partial to it as it was shot in my high school. About Schmidt is a great drama/comedy, and I friggin' love every single second of Sideways, though quite a bit of the 'wine-speak' went over my head.

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Seems to be a variety of opinions. I'll join in:

Hated Election

Loved About Schmidt

Haven't seen Sideways

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What was so offensive about About Schmidt, Adam? (Not an attack at all—I’m really curious as to why the film would cause such a reaction).

And why do you think that the same issue would be present in Sideways?

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Loved "Election".

Thought "Citizen Ruth" was an admirable, but not an entirely successful flick. Worth seeing.

Liked "About Schmidt".

Haven't seen "Sideways".

14. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Liked Citizen Ruth, which is ruthless to both sides, but could be funnier.

Loved Election.

Liked About Schmidt, but thought it was close to being condescending towards its characters.

Loved Sideways.

15. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Enjoyed Election, but I'm in love with Reese Witherspoon so I'm biased there.

Didn't like About Schmidt too much. It just didn't connect with me, although it was funny at times.

I loved Sideways. What a great movie that was. I will certainly have a copy of this in my house when available.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Certainly. I felt like all of the "comedy" came at the expense of "ordinary" people - Schmidt's daughter's fiance's family was the butt of all the jokes even though they were the only ones who seemed to be happy in the entire film. The relationship between the father and daughter was forced (I'm pissed at daddy even though the early flashbacks proved that he WAS present in my life!), and much of the humor while high-concept was patently ridiculous. (Visiting the tire place where his home used to be, for instance.) And most of all, I found his stubborn refusal to grow depressing and utterly pointless. I know very well that there are people like Schmidt in the world; but if they can't take the impetus to improve their situation once they realize it needs changing, they don't deserve to have movies told about them.

17. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Loved Election; thought About Schmidt was just OK (nothing special - a little slow and too depressing at times).

I also loved Sideways, though it's so quirky and the main characters are at many times pretty despicable, I keep wondering how well that will "play" in the Midwest or with older audiences (I know one of my wife's older friends hated it, for example).

18. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Loved Election, About Schmidt, and Sideways.... I think Payne has established himself as one of our best new auteurs, making these relatively small films.

I read a couple of those interviews on your website, it looks like his next project will be one to get excited for. If he considers 'Sideways' a minor work, we should be excited to see his major work!

19. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks Scott, I'll check it out. I'm also a big fan and have Citizen Ruth, Election and About Schmidt on DVD.
    Been to Sideways three times now.
    I know exactly what you mean Adam!
    My stepfather once encountered a rude State Trooper in Michigan and now he "hates the whole state and will never go there again".

[​IMG]

20. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

BTW, how are Payne's films doing money wise? I hope he's successful enough to continue making them.