What's new

Did you know that Norah Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Not 'til Grammy night I didn't. Was also surprised to find Arif Mardin was her producer. He's a favorite of mine but I thought the guy was retired.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Several months ago, I read that NJ's is Ravi Shankar. Surprised at first, but not anymore.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Reginald,

I mentioned this in a thread last year. My thinking was that Ravi was responsible for her music education. I recently found out that this was not the case and that her mother played a large role which is interesting. She probably benefitted from some if his genes, though.

:)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There was an article about in her in Rolling Stone last fall. She mentioned in the article that she has never met her father.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I always knew she was mixed but wasn't sure of the exact ethnicity. She has that exotic look mixed people have. So her background is half American and half Indian? Cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
She also has a sister who I believe is mainly into Indian music.
Yes, and she's (Anooshka? - sorry, temporary memory failure) superb - she has a couple of albums out that are well worth exploring. However, I think she's more in contact with daddy - wasn't she his pupil?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
It is absolutely untrue (and ridiculous to believe) that Norah Jones has never met her father, Ravi Shankar, as stated in a post above. In fact, she wrote a letter to the Editor of RS, published a few months ago, correcting their assertion that she and Ravi are 'estranged.' Apparently, there was a protracted period during which they did not have much of a relationship, that's all.

Her sister is a well-known Indian musician, who is absolutely amazing in her own right.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, correct. She is an instrumentalist, and quite well-known.

On the subject of Norah Jones, just finished watching the New Orleans DVD. She's talented and all, but watching her perform was not particularly exciting. The only spark of emotion in the show at all was her cover of the old Basement Tapes tune, "Bessy Smith." She needs to pick more material in that vein: a little more bluesy, a little more gritty. Hopefully, the next album will show more of this side of her chops.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Yeah, this is old news. Found out last year shortly after I bought her album.

Here is a picture of Norah and Anoushka from Anoushka's web site. Link

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
yes, I thought this was fairly common knowledge? anyway, IIRC Ravi openly says he had nothing to do with Norah's education and takes no credit for it.

I had initially assumed that she was like Alexandra Stevenson, product of a ONS, but apparently Ravi and Norah's mother had a 9-year relationship which ended shortly after Norah was born, hence his limited involvement in her upbringing, unlike Anushka who was raised and educated (musically) by Ravi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks