What's new

Did You Know.......Only 3 U.S. Presidents In Last 100 Years Did NOT Play Golf? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
While watching video clips today of President Bush relaxing on the links, I got to thinking.....
Is it a prerequisite for becoming US President that you MUST be a golfer? :) So it seems.
Upon further Google research, I learned there have been a mere THREE US Chief Executives that have not been golfers!
Can you name them?
And: Who would you say was the best Presidential golfer?
I would say JFK....who was said to have a pretty good swing. (He's even had a golf course named for him in Denver.)
Let's hear from all you golf addicts out there!! :)

James L White

Supporting Actor
Reigan-too damn old
FDR
LBJ

that's my guess as to who the 3 non-golfers

I have no guess as far as better golfing Prez

Mitty

Supporting Actor
If golfing while in office is the criteria, then I gotta second Reagan, Roosevelt (Teddy) is a no-brainer, and let's say Lyndon Johnson.

EDIT: While "googling" the same thing, I already discovered that I'm wrong on at least one count. Doh!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
No one has ANY of the 3 non-linksters yet! :)
There's a FREE pass to Miniature Golfland in it for the winner!! :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The only one I'm absolutely certain didn't golf in office is FDR, since by then he was confined to a wheelchair and could only take a few halting steps with braces if supported by an aide.

Reagan was an avid golfer (and horseback rider) despite his age, and was known to practice putting on Air Force One.

Teddy Roosevelt was an all-around outdoorsman, big game hunter and conservationist. But he disliked golf, thought it effete and advised his VP and successor to give up the game. Failing that he told William Howard Taft never to let himself be photographed playing golf.

I'm not sure about the academic Woodrow Wilson. He doesn't really strike me as the golf type, but he may have taken up the game while president of Princeton to suck up to doners.

I'd think that "Silent Cal" Coolidge would consider golf a waste of time, but I'm not sure.

Herbert Hoover - I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other.

Johnson, I'm pretty sure, played the game. And there is no doubt that Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II were all golfers. (Ford - despite his headline-making mistakes - may have been the best golfer of the lot. He was a very good natural athlete and a very graceful man. He just had the misfortune of being photographed almost everywhere he went, and having Chevy Chase stuck to his bottom like a lamprey for four years, so we tend to think of him as a klutz.)

I think my guess would be:

Theodore Roosevelt
FDR
Herbert Hoover

Regards,

Joe

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
That means the odds are against me for becoming President. I don't golf! :frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Unsurprising that almost all presidents in the last century played golf. The demographics of the game fit the kind of man who runs for president.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly a real story (take with a grain of whatever). Richard Nixon did indeed play golf, sometimes with President Eisenhower WHen he was VP. His wife Pat was asked at the time if she did anything special when her husband went out to play to give him luck. She responded, "I kiss his b----s". (This is a family site).:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
His wife Pat was asked at the time if she did anything special when her husband went out to play to give him luck. She responded, "I kiss his b----s". (This is a family site).
Of course, that story has all the earmarks of an urban legend (or simply a joke), since the exact same story has been told regarding an appearance by Arnold Palmer's wife on the Tonight Show. Supposedly, Johnny Carson responded "I'll bet that makes his putter flutter".

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Answer to the quiz is..........
Herbert Hoover
Harry Truman
Jimmy Carter
You would have thought FDR was a lock! But no.....Franklin DID play golf!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
ROFL, so your chances of being prez are best if you play golf and are a Protestant, O and I suppose being male seems to help. What other things do most prez's have in common? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks