did you know Kmart lets you check yourself out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Ok, so I haven't been to came-a-part in probably 5 years, and overall I just avoid the place... ANYWAY I went there today because I needed some plastic water cans and had been everywhere else.. MAN those self check out lanes are AWESOME! more places need those!
    you guys have probably all seen them before though?

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I food shop regularly at my local Super K and they've had these for almost a year. They are great, but they can be a hassle sometimes. You'll occasionally hear things like "please bag last item before scanning the next item" when just put that "last item" in a bag! Perhaps one day they'll perfect them. On the whole though they are much preferable to waiting behind the little old lady in front of you writing a check for ten minutes!
    Another good thing about them: those little old ladies are afraid of those self-checkout aisles and avoid them like the plague! [​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Our local Kroger store has the self-checkout scanners, and I almost always use them (unless the line is too long there, then I use the normal checkout lines).

6. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Yeah, those things are cool. I went to Kmart about a week after they had installed them, bought $2.00 worth of stuff, stuck in a $5 bill and got $10 in change! HAHA. This was a week after they announced they were bankrupt and were downsizing their stores. Now I know why they are going bankrupt! (and yes, I did tell the clerk and gave them back their change).

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    We've had them here now for about 6 months. They are awesome! It's a small town so everyone is pretty much technology illiterate and not many people use them. I haven't had to stand in line there since.

8. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Hummmm...I avoid these lines. We have them at Super Wal-Mart and at Dillion's Grocery here in Olathe, KS. Seems there is alway some glitch with a price scan...especially with produce. Or the change machine is fumbled. I will wait until they are perfected a bit more...besides I enjoy the strategy of finding the shortest check-out lane with the cutest checker!!!
    BTW, Does anyone remember the early days of FOOD-4-LESS? When all food was bulked in big boxes on industrial strengh shelving...these items were all unmarked. You were supplied with a large black grease pen, and had to write the $$$ of each item on the product? Whatta pain! Kinda like the honor system.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

use a check card, no change required [​IMG]

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I like using the self checkouts because there's usually no lines for them. Good thing too, because it seems some people take forever to find the bar codes on the packaging. [​IMG]

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I used one in Delaware when I was there. I haven't been to the K-mart near home in a long time so I have no idea if all the K-marts have them or not. I had no problems then. I regularly use the self-checkout lines in the food stores I go to, I can dump all my nickels and dimes sitting at home without pissing off a cashier... Only, I unloaded like $10 in nickels there cause I was low on cash, don't feel like charging it and have a ton of nickels at home..

Jay

12. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I am annoyed by these lines. We have them at the Kroger grocery stores here in Indiana, probablly have them at K-Mart too I don't know.

Anywayz...why should we all be giddy when we are doing someone elses job? If you ask me the places that use these lines are laughing it up as they don't have to hire as many cashiers and baggers as WE are the ones doing that job now..for free I might add.

I admit I used this line a couple times at Krogers and got fed up, if something doesn't scan right you still have to get someone to fix it for you, not to mention that the dorks infront of you don't know how to read English and operate that dang scanner and place items in a bag. Seems to me it took just as long as going through a regular line.

13. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

I feel the same way. I'd rather deal with the "learning curve" of one cashier, however dull-witted and unmotivated, than those of the two or three clueless people in front of me in line. [​IMG]

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I use the machine only if 1) there's a line at all the open cashiers, 2) there's no line for a machine, 3) I have only a few items, 4) none of my items are special stuff like meat or produce, and 5) none of my items are beer (because you have to show ID to the human who monitors all the machines and the human then has to punch the secret code to approve the purchase).

15. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

They put them in at Walmart here, and I can't understand why anyone would use them if they have more than like five items. I see people with shopping carts filled to the brim checking themselves out. WHY!? I could see if you get a very minor discount by doing it yourself, but otherwise, screw that.

16. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

17. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Wow, self checkout lines?!?!
    Never heard or seen them [​IMG]
    Must not have come to this part of Minnesota yet.
    Brian