Did y'all know that Paramount announced Li'l Abner for April 19th?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, Jan 5, 2005.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hello, everyone! I know that I'm virtually unseen in the non-Televsion section of HTF these days, and my apologies for that...I'm so busy I am just glad I have time to stop by HTF at all!

But I know how - for years! - HTFers have urged Paramount to release Li'l Abner on DVD, seemingly to no avail. So I was mystified when I did a search and didn't see that anyone had posted this great news! Nor have I seen it at the various DVD news sites that are not dedicated to TV-on-DVD ( [​IMG] ).

So here's the scoop: about a week or so ago, Paramount listed Li'l Abner with a 4/19/05 street date. 1-disc, 113 minutes, no cover art yet (key art from the old VHS is shown, as is the VHS slipcover itself, but the listing clearly says that the date I'm giving is for a DVD). Here's the description:

I'm looking forward to this, and I know a bunch of you are as well!! And I know Ron Epstein wants this, if nothing else for the Jerry Lewis cameo! [​IMG]

Happy to bring you such good news, guys! Kudos to Martin Blythe and the folks at Paramount for this one!!

2. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Well, I hope this is good information because if it isn't we're all going to hunt you down and egg you.

3. David Lambert

It's good! [​IMG]

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Don't that take the rag offen the bush?

- Steve

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Has Paramount mentioned widescreen, stereo, trailer - anything?

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Jubilation T. Cornpone!!!

Julie Newmar in VistaVision [​IMG]

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

yay!

8. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Deleted due to additional information

9. ArthurMy

That is not the DVD that the original poster is talking about. And the cast list is obviously from a very stupid person - it's the Buster Keaton version and has been out for many months.

Why are there already worries whether this will be widescreen. Paramount has an impeccable track record in this regard so really, that particular question (which seems to be always asked by the same person) seems unnecessary. The film wasn't released in stereo, at least as far as I know. Certainly it was in mono in its first run NY engagements. So, even if they do a stereo track I would hope they'll include the mono track. And given that it's Paramount, why doesn't everyone just assume it won't have any extras - then if it does we can all be pleasantly surprised. I'm thrilled they're finally putting this out.

10. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will

Gee Whiz Arthur, lighten up! He was asking whether or not the specs were released yet...no need to attack him in that charming way you have. We all "GET" that you seem to have a problem with Joe, but honestly, the sun HAS to shine in your world SOME of the time!!

Onto the disc...I've never seen it but I'm looking forward to it because of the high regard in which people seem to hold it.

11. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Ditto!:wink:

Paul

12. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

Paramount has been much improved recently in their quality so I fully expect that Li'l Abner will look like it is supposed to which means it should have the most eye-popping Technicolor you will ever see.

If only Paramount would go back and redo some of the abominations they have released earlier on DVD such as White Christmas and Barefoot in the Park which both have the same bland and ugly look to them.

Li'l Abner was not released in stereo. They may have recorded the songs in stereo, Paramount may come up with a new 5.1 stereo version for the DVD but if you want to hear the movie the way people heard it in the theater, you should hear it in mono.

Abner's composer Gene de Paul also wrote the music for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. But we still need a DVD release of de Paul's third 50's musical which is Dick Powell's musical remake of It Happened One Night which was entitled You Can't Run Away From It. It starred June Allsyon and Jack Lemmon and while the movie is generally pretty weak, it does improve greatly when de Paul's lively songs erupt. Columbia owns this Cinemascope release which has been missing in action in recent years.

13. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will

WOW! THAT brought back memories of rainy childhood summer afternoons when cable channels used to run afternoon movies! Haven't seen that in years (and I'm not really complaining..heheh.)

I too was sorely disappointed in Paramount's White Christmas dvd..Vista Vision should look better than that!

I'm excited for this disc..should be a lot of fun.

14. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I am of course curious to see of Paramount comes up with a stereo remix for abner. They apparently have a new 5.1 mix for On a Clear Day You Can see Forever.
    I guess I'm a bit wary these dies.
    We have Turning Point soon frfom Anchor Bay and the specs say mono - the old VHS and laserdisc and cable broadcasts were the original stereo. We also have the new release of Hawaii which looks like the cut mono version, not the uncut stereo version we had on laserdisc.

15. ArthurMy

Will, I have no problem with Joe. I don't know him from Adam. It's just that every time a new classic is announced he's right there asking if it will be in widescreen - and with certain studios it simply isn't necessary to ask that question. And why ask about stereo if it's a mono film. It's pretty cold in my part of the world right now - really cold. I'm getting used to the personalities here - they're fascinating.

I'm so happy I can now retire my burned DVD of the old VHS Li'l Abner.

16. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Actually the question of widescreen may be necessary after all. "Li'l Abner" was filmed in VistaVision with an aspect ratio of 1:66. It was also matted for release with the aspect ratios 1:78 AND 2:1.

Paramount may matt the film or they may go for a fuller screen. It will be interesting to see which aspect ratio Paramount uses. You can see on the VHS that there is a lot of empty space at the top and bottom of the image.

Please correct me if my facts are wrong

17. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

In case anyone is interested, Paramount is also releasing
    Darling Lil on the same date according to Digital Bits.
    No mention if it's the theatrical or the revised edition that Blake Edwards released later
    Best
    Greg

18. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    As one who endlessly pleaded on this forum for this musical to be available on DVD, I am stupified with delight by this news. Still, only when I actually pre-order it will I celebrate!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. ArthurMy

I'm sure Paramount will matte it as they have matted all their VistaVision films - around 1:78 if I'm seeing correctly. Am I? I don't think they've matted any VistaVision films at 1:66.

And just a note once again: We don't know what Hawaii is or isn't and we won't until some reliable specs are provided by the studio. If it's mono, then it's correct. So why even mention stereo. And we simply don't know if it's the shorter version or not. If it is, then let's all get mad.

20. David Lambert

The technical specs have not been released yet; what I posted is everything at the site. Abner is the 1959 version per a fine print notice attached to a key art image there (not necessarily the DVD cover art).

As for Darling Lili, it is the 1970 Blake Edwards version. That's been announced at Paramount longer than Abner; did that one get missed too? Whoa! I'm glad Bill Hunt noticed it.