What's new

Did THX ever have that "discussion" about the EE on Phantom Menace DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I think we can mainly agree, and next time, whenever, we meet we must drink a large beer. :)

Cees

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I found this on thedigitalbits.com under the D-VHS review of Terminator 2:

" Strangely, the same tiny bit of edge enhancement seen on the DVD is also visible on the D-VHS version, but (as with the DVD) the picture doesn't suffer for it."

How nice of studios to include EE on HD formats as well! BRAVO! I'm a bit surprised to read Bill Hunt say that like the dvd, the picture quality doesn't suffer from the EE....my Ultimate Edition's picture DEFINITELY suffered from EE. I figure we've got this crap to look forward to with HD-DVD as well?? D-VHS owners, is EE present on other titles as well besides T2?

I can't wait for the upcoming chat to see what kinds of questions are asked.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
T2 DVHS was sourced from the same transfer as the UE, one that was done quite awhile back for the SE version LD and VHS releases I believe

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That's right. The new version with the HD WM9 disc has no signs of EE/ringing and is also a completely new film-tape transfer.

Looks like Artisan has finally figured it out. Too bad they *still* applied some visible ringing to the latest Stargate :frowning:

Anyone with that D-VHS care to comment if any ringing is visible on the HD version?

-dave

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yeah, that really sucks about Stargate. 3 times released and still didn't get it quite right.
Maybe, if Artisan hadn't screwed it up, I'd have plunked down my money by now for the T2 upgrade.
Ashame, since I'd watch Stargate more than T2.
At least the EE on the new Stargate isn't as headache-inducing as before.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I just watched TPM on my 57" rear projection CRT after not seeing it in a few years. The flaws stand out so much, I can barely tolerate it now. It doesn't help that TMP is the weakest of the series.

If Blu-Ray actually takes off in a few years, maybe the EE will be non-existent on TPM in the SW saga BD box set. :)

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Yoda was digitally replaced in the Phantom Menace with the intention of re-releasing it in high-def. It'll come but it could take a while. It looks like the 3D versions were dropped so hopefully now that there's only one format it comes out sooner than later. I'll guess next November and I'll be wrong.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Thats actually never been confirmed, keep in mind. Yoda was replaced in Phantom Menace as a practice for ILM before they started Revenge of the Sith. Although its possible, and one would think very probable, that it will be included in a future revision, that's never been actually stated by anyone, as it has only ever been stated that it was an animation practice and not an attempt at revision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks