Did the tv hold it's black level better then before isf calibration?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John David Rage, Sep 22, 2001.

1. John David Rage

What were some things that were of immediate notice after having the tv ISF calibrated. Particularly , what was different using black-bars/half white pattern compared to before the calibration. Did anyone notice that the tv now was capable of holding black level better?? Is there any site where we could see a before and after comparison of how isf calibrated looks compared to just avia calibrated??

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

There is really nothing a calibrator can do about DC restoration. The TV cannot be adjusted for this.
    The before/after difference can vary from set-to-set depending on how it came to you in the first place. For instance, last year's Toshiba's generally benefitted significantly from an optical focus. This years sets are nearly perfect, but there's still some room for improvement.
    Nearly all sets benefit from geometry correction (not all calibrators do geometry though).
    The single biggest benefit probably comes from the proper setting of the colour of grey. I haven't seen a single set yet that was shipped from the factory with an accurate grey scale. Since all colour is added to grey, this throws off all the colours.
    All the 'little' things done in a calibration really add up. Seeing a calibrated and non-calibrated image side-by-side is a real eye-opener.

3. John David Rage

I wish I could see the difference between two sets, where one is ISF calibrated and the other is factory set. Does anybody know of any site where there are pics that someone has taken of a before calibration and after calibration session?? I'm really, really curious, eager to see the difference that ISF makes. I know, you guys are saying just get that sony 27 incher calibrated and then you will be seeing the difference allright [​IMG] If I had the cash to do it, I don't think that I would hesitate.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    One of the big problems with before and after photos is that the lighting in the room is so poor for the camera to take any type of worthwhile image.
    Add to that, the digital camera also adds its own take on reality to the image it produces.
    Add to that compression algorithms for the images ...
    Add to that the condition of the computer monitor that you are looking at the image on ...
    Do you see the picture here?
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

5. John David Rage

That's too bad....Was looking forward to seeing somekind of picture comparison...there must be perhaps some sites witch have done the pictures in a "professinal manner" with correcting all the factors that you have mentioned. It's just odd that there would't be any image comparison , I mean I need to see it to judge how mutch of a difference there would be...It's just too bad that we have no ISF people or anykind of isf certified equiptment here in the city. So I will never get to see a side by side , the next best thing is putting it through Avia/VE calibration witch there are a few consultants that come into the home and perform this service.

6. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

John,
    Don't pay for VE/Avia calibration. If you don't own the disks, you can just rent them and try them out yourself. You'll see how off your settings are just with this much effort.
    Keep your eyes open for an ISF tour near your area...

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I have seen side-by-side demos in booths at electronic shows and I think even at a 'home show' once.
    Actually, that's not a bad idea... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics