Did the new Daylight Saving change??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David McGough, Apr 22, 2005.

1. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Take effect??? I read it was going before Congress.
    Did they make the new change till end of November?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I haven't heard anything yet, but I do hope that they 'fix it'. If DST is going to run for 8 months it should start the 3rd week in March, and end the 3rd week in October.

Glenn

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It's part of an energy bill that just passed in the House. The Senate has to pass their own version, the two have to be reconciled, and then the President has to sign it into law. If so, it will take effect on some future date.

Frankly, if it passes, it will break the automatic DST adjustments in VCRs and stuff that I have, so to a small degree I would rather it didn't. The amount of energy savings is debatable, especially when balanced with other factors.

It will be from the first Sunday in March until the last Sunday in November, instead of the current April/October. At that point, why not just go with DST permanently? That might be even easier.

4. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

They tried that in the 70s and it didn't go down too well. It seemed that parents didn't like sending their kids to school in the dark. I remember going to school in the dark back then and I didn't like it too much.

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Put me into the camp that would just wish it was year round. One of my kids already goes to school in the dark as the bus comes at 6:55 am. I'm sure they would like to have more light at night to play in instead of going to school and watching the sun from inside a building.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I didn't like going to school in daylight [​IMG]

7. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

>Frankly, if it passes, it will break the automatic DST >adjustments in VCRs and stuff that I have, so to a small

Would that also be ditto for Computers as well?
    Then also change the time?

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm sure it could be patched, but I can for see another Y2K "epidemic"

things like VCRs, cell phones, ipods, some of them might be able to be patched, most probably not... but who knows.

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

More proof that congress is out of touch with reality.

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I thought that the Y2K epedimic was vaporware. Did that thing actually happen?

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no [​IMG]

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Yep. When it was year round people drove more too due to the daylight hours being extended and gas consumption went up, not down. If I recall correctly, overall energy consumption went significantly higher and the experiment had the exact opposite effect.

Did they research this at all before deciding it would be a good idea?

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Windows already has a synchronization with an internet server, so there'd be no worries about DST changes.

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

While all you suckers topside were suffering with cars that wouldn't start, airplanes falling out of the sky, and the armies of locusts eating your crops , I've been kickin' it in high style in my undersground shelter. You won't believe the deal I got on Top Ramen back in '98.

15. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

They've also not looked at how extending daylight savings will result in morning rush hour being entirely in the dark during the last month, and how that could increase traffic accidents.

In theory it sounds like a great idea -- who wouldn't want more day light in the afternoon -- but more studies need to be done before making such a major change.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Actually I would think having the sun in your eyes first thing in the morning would cause more accidents not less.[​IMG] I know I hate it.

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Bleh, whenever you lot go to daylight savings, my settings for HTF get screwed up and the time stamped onto my postings is one hour ahead. I guess it simply retains the setting that I am 13 hours ahead of Eastern Time, but when EST becomes EDT, I wind up 13 hours ahead of that, and therefore one hour ahead of actual time here. (We don't have daylight savings, sitting just one degree above the Equator makes that unnecessary...)

18. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

The only problem I have with Daylight "Savings" Time, aside from the annoyance of getting up an hour earlier, and changing all of the clocks in my place, is that the power bills will rise anyway, [at least in the Puget Sound area] because we the citizens are doing "too good a job" in conserving, and the rates "have to be raised" so that there are no massive layoffs. [​IMG]

It happens every drought, and every time the citizens in this area get a bee in their bonnet to do something "environmentally responsible." It would be nice to NOT be punished for civic or environmental responsibility.

My dad had the theory that it was a government conspiracy to make sure that the citizens were just as lost as the elected leaders. [​IMG]

19. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I'm all for rolling back a half hour and staying put. Best of both worlds.

20. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I hope it doesn't pass. I have a lot of equipment that would not function correctly two months out of the year if it passes, not the least of which is my uber-geek-astronomer watch that I just got for Christmas.

I remember the experiment in the '70s. It was an utter failure as far as energy consumption was concerned.

For that matter, I remember when the U.S government set a goal of completely converting to the metric system by 1980. I hope this isn't any more popular (though I do prefer the metric system).