1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Did the latest Windows update wipe out anybody else?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ron1973, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I woke up about 3AM with a screen I've never laid eyes on before telling me my computer would not restart. I let it check the computer twice; it kept giving the same message. It then came up with the standard options of System Restore, Command Prompt, Image Recovery, etc. I tried twice with System Restore-once restoring back to 11-8 and then to 11-1. It kept saying it wouldn't restore, so I gave up and was going to dig out one of my older computers until such time as I could get a new one (I was pricing some yesterday as a matter of fact). Out of the blue, it started booting up and told me it had restored to 11-1. Go figure! I did turn off automatic updates, something I should've done a while back.

2. 2 Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Not directly answering your question).

I've had this happen back during the days of XP. Never again.

Since then, I have never updated any Microsoft operating systems automatically. I'm always waiting as long as several months to see how many botched patches were withdrawn.

The only M$ stuff I update regularly, are the multi-daily new definitions for Windows Defender. Though I update it in a roundabout way, where I download the new definitions from the official Windows Defender web page manually, and install it by hand. This avoids any problems of Micro$oft performing any "covert" operating system updates through Defender type updates.

3. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Agent

I would suspect that something else had gone wrong on the system prior to the update, especially if there's any out-of-date 3rd-party software on the system.

I had the Win10 vm on my server go dark yesterday for this exact reason; restoring from the last incremental system image backup stopped responding similarly within an hour of applying the missing updates. A restore of a 3-month-old image and updating the other program, and it has been running w/o issue since.
    Another possibility is your antivirus program throwing out false positives on system files. I did note that the install of Bitdefender Free on the vm had quarantined a number of files under the Windows directory.

Out of 7 Win10 installs on my network, the vm was the only one that has had any issue.

4. Stan

Stan Producer

So true. Don't become an MS beta tester, always wait and let a good six months or more even pass after the official beta test.

Only after It gets released to the public, then the true bugs start showing up.