What's new

Did "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" just have it's soul sucked out? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
The new issue came in the mail today. It's now called "Stereophile Ultimate AV".

The first chance I noticed is the tabloid style headlines on the cover.

SHAKE THINGS UP - SUBWOOFERS TO ROCK YOUR WORLD

5.1 VS 7.1 - THE GREAT CHANNEL DEBATE

Oh brother.

Article headlines and attention grabbers now cater to the least common denomenator. "DVD ALERT!".

Well, I guess the good news is that maybe my subject line was a bit harsh. It's "soul" still seem to be intact. But clearly they've lost their "small enthusiast rag" nature and the ship is now being steered by their large publishing corporation overlords. We'll see how it goes from here.

-Steve

Todd K

Second Unit
I don't really care what they do to the magazine. I think I may be the lowest common denominator they're catering to, since the equipment they feature is way more expensive than anything I'd ever even think about buying.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I got the subs. of this mag (at a very good price) based on what was said here. I actually liked Home Theater Mag more. The articles were actually more in-depth (I still refer back to their DVD-A vs. SACD comparison from over 3 years ago) and had much more content.

However that Watching the Bytes article is pretty interesting. They compare all the different bitrates w/QAM/8VSB/QPSK. Though they only have 1 screenshot example that is a simulation. :frowning: I wish they'd throw more pictures around throughout the mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks