Did Sony fake Blu-ray demo?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Paul_Scott, May 16, 2006.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I've read that one laptop was playing a bluray disc, and one was playing a dvd (it was, after all, designed as a comparative demo.) So, you're half blind. You can't see the difference, so it's eenie minnie moe, catch a tiger by the toe, and you pick the laptop with the dvd disc. Congratulations.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

from what i understand, the Bd content (probably just a 20 minute clip) was burned onto a DVD+R.
    Of course there are other people decrying this story as fake, but the writer appears to be standing by it.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

It could conceivably be a clip burned to a DVD blank formatted as "BD-9" [remember that bit of stupidity?]. I doubt it, though.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    (giggle), (snicker), and my favorite Zappa lyric, " Eddie are you kidding".....when I first saw the new double knit blu-rays I was not impresed.....

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I guess the Sony rep was on his coffee break to let that guy just walk up and take the disc out. You'd think they'd want to guard their secret (and deter theft) a little better than that.

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Who ever wrote that is so full of shit his eyes are brown. They are are going to let any Joe Q walk up and interrupt a product demo at their booth? Right!

8. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Supposedly PC Magazine's Lance Ulanoff.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I take back my comment; however, the guy should have ejected the disc from the other player to see what it was playing, before writing and posting that story.

10. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I stopped reading at the point when he stated that both formats will store 45 to 50 Gig on a dual layer disc. At that point I realized he doesn't know what he is talking about. And he writes for PC magazine?

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

what difference would that have made?
    there are two possible scenarios- either he is purposefully being misleading; ejecting and photographing the disc that he knows was merely the standard def version
    or
    he looked at both displays and ejected the disc that was the source of what appeared to be the higher resolution image.

so either the story is accurate or else he is lying.

or there could be a third option, i suppose- in that he honestly couldn't see much of a difference in PQ between the two and merely made the wrong guess. I see this as highly unlikely though.

In better news- it appears that thousands of copies of Hitch are rolling off the presses in Terra Haute where Sony has a replicating facility. So it looks like they are almost certain to meet their late june launch date now.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't think the world needs any more copies of that movie in any format! [​IMG]

14. Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh Stunt Coordinator

His Sony distaste probably steps from VIAO computers which are the antithesis of a PC.

15. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

He wouldn't have to be wishing he had seen it if he had ejected the other disc. Nope, he decided to take a few cheap shots at Sony and their Blu-ray format and go for the laughs.

17. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've been frequenting the HD-DVD player forum over at AVS since those players came out. One purchaser of a Toshiba HD-A1 was surprised to find a disc already in the drive when he hooked up the player. He posted a picture of it and it was a tester copy of Doom with no label, just "Doom" written in magic marker. It was in fact an HD-DVD.

It would be entirely possible for Sony to have a similar demo disc that was in fact BluRay.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I'm glad this idiot was proven wrong.
    But, honestly, even if Sony had faked that one demo (copied some HD content to a DVD-R just to be able to show people what to expect), then what would that prove?
    Did he really think the BD discs and players are not going to show up? And that he was about to prove that?

Cees