Did something crazy....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John S, Dec 30, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

I just ordered a Screenplay 5000 front projector. No more CRT RP for me I suppose. [​IMG]

Just seemed to good of a deal for a true HD 16:9 LCD projector with free 76" Pull down screen and free shipping for $899.

My siginifcant other is going to kill me though when she finds out.

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

[​IMG] How sad -- so many toys and so little time to enjoy them.

[​IMG]

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Where did you find that deal?

4. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Yeah where did you find that deal?

5. John S

John S Producer

Infocus website.. They have new with rebate for under $1K, they have refurbished for under $900... Both available with free screens.

I think parts of these deals are over Dec 31st though, so order today!!

I was told be a couple of different high end guys, that if your room is not dedicated, they like the sp5000 above nearly all other projectors too. I will have a theater room in a year or two, but right now my living room is it.

6. John S

John S Producer

7. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I may just be crazy enough to buy this on a whim...but I'm curious what the possible problems might be buying a refurb vs. the new one?

For the new one, it seems January 31st is the end of the deal?

This would also be my first projector, and right now I wouldn't have a dedicated room. My couch is against my back wall - would this be OK for the time being on a table in front of the couch?

A refurbed 4805 also gets the free screen (and shipping I'm guessing?) for $729.

8. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I'd say, "go new". Two year warranty. Most repairs involve costly assemblies, they don't replace small parts, just light blocks and circuit boards.

As to cost, my SP4805 cost exactly half what my Sony 53" RPTV did a few years ago (which has become my PIP feature).

Table should be fine; the hot air blows forward. I use a nice stereo rack (open cantilevered design with seperate shelves). Previously I used a glass topped end table with a shelf at the right height. (protection from spilled drinks).

9. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I would love to get one of these, but I don't like the idea of putting the projector on my coffee table, and having to run lines from my audio and video equipment to the table(I Just rewired my whole room and it looks very neat and clean compared to before). Maybe in a few years I can get a dedicated theater built by a professional. I just love the idea of the giant screen and the projected image. :b

10. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Does the 2 year warranty cover bulb replacement?

I'm assuming the 5000 will be better in the long run than the 4805?

At least I have a month to make my decision.

Thanks.

11. Steve Berger

The bulb warranty is fairly short (90 days / 500 hours) but they are selling extensions for the bulb warranty.

4805 vs 5000, it seems to be a wash on quality and performance. Each has it's proponents, advantages, and limitations.

The required seating distance on the SP4805 usually puts it near the seating so wiring can be hidden under furniture most of the time. Once you experience a BIG screen, you'll want to build your room around it.

12. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

How would each perform with SD? This would be the first device I own capable of HD, and I'm currently using a DirecTivo (non-HD, obviously). I don't know how good of OTA HD reception I'll get (way out in the country, so no cable, and 40+ miles from the broadcast towers), so I'm going to want to make sure I can watch SD shows on ABC,CBS,FOX, etc. with at least decent quality. We watch much more TV than movies.

13. Steve Berger

The 4805 has the Faroudja DCDi processor which is terrific for interlaced video (SDTV and DVD) while the 5000 has higher resolution for HDTV and slightly shorter throw but no Faroudja chipset. The 5000 will have less screen door effect if you are sitting closer to the screen. For gaming there is absolutely no burn-in possibility on the DLP 4805 while the LCD 5000 has a little potential for burn-in.

You might want to do some checking on the possibility of HDTV OTA reception before making a final decision.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I think the simple answer is the SP4805 is better for DVD and the SP5000 better for HDTV. Some will claim watching downrezzed HDTV on the SP4805 is great but I find that nonsense. The SP4805 has been available refurbished for a great price and if DVD is what will be watched, it is a great projector. Seating distance, ambient light, susceptibility to DLP rainbows and other factors might be a consideration as well.

Chris

15. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Here's a post I made on AVS...some of the questions are repeats of what I asked here previously...basically trying to figure out if the 4805 or 5000 is better for my situation.

The projector would be in my living room, which is just 12x15'. There are 3 windows on the southern wall, but there are honeycomb blinds. They darken the room a lot, but I also wouldn't be watching it much during the day. Which PJ would be best in an environment where total darkness isn't possible?

In the room, the couch is on the back wall, so putting the PJ behind it isn't a possibility. I would prefer to put it on a small table (which isn't there now) in front of the couch. This would leave the PJ a max of about 9' from the screen though. Is that OK? The prime seating would be a max of about 12' from the screen, which from what I've heard would be fine on a 76" screen?

I watch a lot more TV than movies (though having a PJ may turn me onto movies more)...how would either of these handle SD from a DirecTivo? I've heard the "crap in, crap out" saying time and again - would the SD signal from an HD-DirecTivo (using the best connection possible - isn't it HDMI for that?) be good?

Anything else I should factor into my decision? Thanks a lot for any help.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I will be keeping my current 32" non-HD TV in the room for daytime viewing and whenever I'm too lazy to get the PJ going. I'm going to be building a new home within a few years, and will have a dedicated HT at that time. I (actually the wife) don't want the PJ permanently mounted to the ceiling for now. But the I think it might also be easier to have the screen go right in front of our current entertainment center, so it'd be sitting lower than a projector screen normally would (I think?).

Would that work OK? I thought I could just coil up the cables when not in use and stick them behind or in the entertainment center?

And would it look OK projecting smaller than a 76" image onto a 76" screen (the free one)? I suppose that would be an option if the PJ was too close?

Thanks again for any advice.

16. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Using www.antennaweb.org , this is what I came up with for my location:

[​IMG]
    So can you tell from that that I'd be able to get an HD signal? It sounds like their estimates are very conservative? I do have an antenna on the roof yet from when we didn't have locals from DirecTV. Could I just use it?

17. Steve Berger

I thought that sounded like you over at AVS. You would probably need a rotor of some sort for consistent reception since there is considerable variation on transmitter directions. You might want to try the Quad Cities direction too.

You might want to pick up some blackout cloth for the windows. I put it behind the front panes of my Pella windows with movie posters over them for absolute light control. Tv shows are much brighter than movies when viewing. I can watch TV with some lights on, while movies almost demand a theater feel.

Your 32" might make for a PIP feature if it's beside your PJ screen. My 53" makes a nice compliment to the 140" PJ image.

You could get some of the wire covers to route the cables through. I have some nice glass topped coffee tables with a large open shelf that the PJ was originally mounted in (under the glass).

"Downrezzed" HDTV looks very good on the 4805, probably because of the necessary viewing distance. HDTV would look considerably better on a 720p display if you could sit closer to it, but LCD and DLP have a minimum viewing distance. For the 5000 to look noticably better, you would have to design your room around optimun seating and PJ location. (along with cables and source devices)

18. John S

John S Producer

I would of went for new, but the $1300 initial cost while waiting for the rebate sort of put it out of my budget for on hands cach availability.

In a non deidcated theater I think the sp5000 would be much better than the 4805.

The de-interlacing and scaler in the sp5000 gets decent enough marks. I just know $900 for a true HD projector seems an amazing bargain throw in the screen size that I probably would have went with even if I had to buy it... I just could not resist.

I will give a full report of the sp5000 in my living room after the Sat. NFL playoff games next week. [​IMG]