did sherbourn go under??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin T, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i tried logging onto their website and there is nothing there anymore. did the company fold or are they just moving to a different url? if they moved, i would expect they would have provided a link to their new site. what gives? anybody have any info on sherbourn? i guess i can ask if anybody knows, i was looking for the dimensions (width, height, and depth) of their 5/1500A amplifier. i wanna be sure it will fit on a rack i'm looking at. if anybody knows how to contact sherbourn or has this information on hand, please let me know. thanks.

kevin t

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I don't know if they went under, but I can give you the dimensions. I was also considering their 5 channel amp, but decided to go with the Rotel 1095. I did have them send the product literature though. The dimensions are below.
    Rackmount Panel
    Height: 7.0 inches
    Width: 19.0 inches
    Depth: 17.7 inches
    Standard Panel
    Height: 7.0 inches
    Width: 17.7 inches
    Depth: 17.7 inches

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

thanks a lot. i appreciate the info. the rack i was looking at is 18.5" deep so i should have just enough space with the sherbourn in place. i just hope they didn't go under because i'm still a few months out from buying a new amp. i'm still up in the air on which pre to go with though. the outlaw 950 is looking like vaporware for the next few months and the anthem avm-20 is a tad out of my price range unless i can get a dealer demo. oh well, i'll cross that bridge when i can afford the toll. thanks again. as an aside, is there any reason you opted for the rotel over the sherbourn? just wondering what else to put on my audition list.

kevin t

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Legairre, I'm also curious about any comments you have on the 1095. It looks like a killer piece.

Adam

5. Legairre

Guys,
    I started lookng for a 5-7 channel amp about 8 months ago(I think it was that long, it sure feels longer). I first got interested by hearing that Outlaw had a 7 channel amp coming. Since Outlaw's amp wasn't out yet, I started the same way you guys probably did. I read EVERY review I could find(magazines & online). I went through this forum's archives as well as audioreview.com(yeah I know, but I needed info) and lots of other sites. I had a minimum requirement of 200wpc, because I'd like to get Paradigm studio 100s early next year and they need power. My max pice was $2000.00 US.
    Finally I narrowed it down to a list of 4 amps that I felt I should audition:
    Parasound 2205AT 220x5 - $1650.00 online
    Rotel RMB-1095 200x5 - $1700.00 dealer
    Sherbourn 5/1500A 200x5 - $1400.00 online
    ATI 2505 250x5 - $1650.00 online
    Though I did pay lots of attention to specs and especially power supplies, I didn't let that THX label on some of the amps phase me. I'm more into sound than badges. I listened to the ATI, Parasound, Rotel and Sherbourn at local dealers(I wrote Ron of Sherbourn and they had a demo unit sent to my dealer for a demo). I listened to these amps over, and, over, and over, again over a 8 month period. I'm sure the dealers felt like saying either buy something or don't come back.
    The ATI was great, nice bass and imaging with a killer soundstage, but for Paradigm speakers it would be too bright for me. The Sherboun was great too. Nice bass and kind of neutral, but the soundstage wasn't there. The instruments just didn't seem to go out and hang in the air when I closed my eyes. It may have been the speakers it was matched with since the demo wasn't at a dedicated Sherbourn dealer. This is all I had to go on since there aren't any dedicated Sherbourn dealers in my area. The Parasound and the Rotel sounded the same to me. Lots of tight bass, not bright,or neutral, warm I guess. I'm no expert, but I really liked the way they sounded. With both of these amps music was just suspended in air and I could really hear the individual instruments very clearly. These two amps made me really get into the music. Even when I cranked them they didn't seem to notice. The Rotel seemed a little tighter at high volumes. Maybe it was the speakers.
    I'm sorry this was so long, but It was the only way I could explain my chioce. Since the Parasound and the Rotel both impressed the hell out of me. I left my choice up to looks and warrenty. I think the Parasound warrenty is 10 years and the Rotels is 5. The Parasound wins this one, but IMHO the Rotel looks better.
    So in the end when faced with two amps that where about equal in everything else(except the warrenty) I went with the looks. The dealers in my state(CT) all want $2000.00 for the Rotel, but I did find a dealer in MA about 1 1/2 hours from me that will sell me the Rotel for $1700.00.
    I'm picking up the Rotel on Tuesday, but since it's my xmas present from my wife and kids I'm not even aloud to open the box until xmas. Oh well, I've spent 8 months waiting what's 1 more.
    I was also looking forward to the new Outlaw 770, but I really got tired of waiting. Especially when there were so many good choices available right now.

6. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

Legairre

So why didn't you wait on the 7 channel amp from outlaw? You waited this long? Just curious... Im in the same boat as you and have narrowd my choices to outlaw 770, Rotel 1095 and 6 channel from cinepro.

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Just to put my two cents in, not only is Sherbourn still alive, but they are truly thriving. Just so happens that they're coming out with a 7 channel amp of their own in about 4-6 months.
    I have a good friend who is a Sherbourn dealer and remember having this whole discussion with Legairre about 6 months ago. It's interesting to read about his reactions to all of the amps he tried. As I recall discussing with him way back when, the main advantage of the Sherbourn is its overbuilt construction and separate power supplies for EACH of its channels. It is a true monoblock(5!) design that really shows its stuff when pushed to the limits...ie..each channel is guaranteed to put out its full rated power AT THE SAME TIME. Depending on the material you're listening to and how loud you like to listen, many amps with a single or dual torroid transformer will crap out when fully stressed. The 5/1500A will NOT. This also means that the amp should sound extremely smooth when merely loafing. Personally, I love this amp's sound. If you call Ron Fone over at Sherbourn, he'll be glad to explain all of its design advantages. Also, the 5/1500A has balanced inputs should your processor ever have the same.
    Now for the shameless plug: If anybody's interested, I can get a 25% discount and superb support from my friend/dealer. Email me at [email protected] for more information.
    Randy

8. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Read this post last night about 2AM.. I just purchased a used 5/1500 and was concerned if the support was gone. I called their phone number (free long distance on cell phone) and found the number was changed. The new number did work and they appear to be in business. Don't know what happened to the web site.
    I have been very satisfied with this amp.. The only caveat I have is the 5 year warrantee is not transferable. Come on guys, Bryston has a 20 year transferable warrantee!! I paid $900 on audiogon so I really can't complain.
    FYI www.tsto.com has the 5/1500a for $1,400. I believe that is a better price than 25% off. A shameless slam!![​IMG]

9. Legairre

I still think that the Sherbourn is a great amp. I also think that the speakers used for the demo didn't match well with the Sherbourn and since the dealer wasn't a Sherbourn dealer, they weren't all that accomodating to switch speakers or any of the nice things they'll do to sell there own products. I don't think I got to hear the Sherbourn at it's best, because everything I had read said the soundstage with the Sherbourn has huge. Since this was my only way of hearing one I didn't want to take a chance.

I really did want to try the Outlaw. The reason it's taken me 8 months is, because I've been waiting on the Outlaw 770. I have nothing, but total respect for Outlaw. Being in the software business I can appreciate the need to delay products to ensure quality, but I just got tired of waiting. It was hard enough waiting for Sept(if I remember right that was when Outlaw first said the amp would be out). But now it's almost December and I don't want to wait any longer on an unknown product. Now Outlaw says the 770 will be out at the same time as the 950 preamp. Who knows when that will be? The amp could be great, but my patience has worn out.

If I had already heard member's review of a 770 alpha unit and it sounded great. I would be willing to wait for a production unit, because I'd figure the production unit would only be better. Also Outlaw hasn't released any specs for the 770 other than 200 watts per channel ([email protected] ohms, >0.07%THD, all channels driven). To hold my interest I need to know more.

Sorry for the venting on Outlaw. I guess I'm feeling the same frustration about the 770 that many are feeling about the 950. I really do respect Outlaw for being a great, relativly new company. I don't think small companies can afford to tell release dates for products to the public and miss them by this much. Larger companies can, but small companies can easily loose customers before they get them. Outlaw had me when they said Sept. Now that it's who knows when, or late Dec they lost me.

10. Johnny Lerner

OK - so what IS the Sherbourne URL? And phone number?

And WHY OH WHY can't Sherbourne OWNERS even SPELL the brand correctly - and 'they' complain about Outlaw's logo? (which to me is real cool)

So Sherbourne should just change their name to SHRBRN :)

11. Legairre

I'm not an owner, but the product literature that I have in front of me spells it Sherbourn without an "e".

12. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Johnny,
    According to the front of their products it is spelled Sherbourn. I like the Outlaw logo too, though! [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

13. Johnny Lerner

Sorry - yes - it seems so
    Have some fun - and look at this URL
    http://www.cinemasource.com/products...cal/local.html
    Anyhow it is TOTAALY WEIRD that one goes to
    www.sherbourn.com
    http://www.sherbourn.com
    and one gets all kinds of registration stuff etc.
    Come on - anyone SLIGHTLY aware of the web - knows that if you OWN that URL you don't let THAT happen!!!!
    I can update our URL in 25-30 secs so the whole world will see the change.
    There is something SERIOUSLY going awry at Sherbourn(e) however they spell it.

14. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

>>C'mon guys, Bryston has a 20 year transferable warrantee

15. Johnny Lerner

RG

" great about getting product fixed

for free even when it's past its warranty period."

That's good - what a lot of people don't realize is that the warranty period DOES NOT limit the time where a manufacturer is responsible for mfrs'. defects!!

The warranty only removes any necessary blah-blah from consumer - but if the consumer can show probable manufacturer defect - the manufacturer is resoponsible until WHENEVER - you can look it up!!

16. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

>>If a consumer can show probable manufacturer defect

17. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

18. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

19. Legairre

They are manufactured in Taiwan. Their page is back up and in the "About Us" section they state where the amps are made.

20. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I think one reason Sherbourn is made in Taiwan is due in part to Ron Fone's partner, Engne Tang, being a native of Taiwan. You can tell right away it is a quality product. Just wish the warranty was transferable.

Frank