What's new

Did previous Marantz models (sr8000) have the digital signal pause/drop out problems? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Marantz SR8200 and the pauses and dropouts with a digital signal are really bothering me. Is this a new problem with the Marantz products or did the previous Marantz line (SR7000, SR8000) pause a second or two when receiving a digital signal?

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Tom-

Yup. I have the SR7000, and have the same issue (although it's more like half a second than a second or two). My friend recently purchased an SR7200, and he knew beforehand the "late-start" on decoded digital signals of the Marantz, and he was okay with it.

Another friend of mine has a Denon (can't remember the model #--might be a 3300) and he has a similar "late-start" issue but his wait time is about a quarter of a second, so it's not as noticeable.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats interesting, as I can't remember whether owners of older Marantz receivers had the problem. So far, the only receiver I have tested that DID NOT exhibit the problem was the NAD T751. The only time it cut off the signal was upon first turning on the player and when playing a CD after playing a DD AC3 DVD. Changing tracks, forward, rewind and changing discs, nothing made the NAD miss any signal. My Marantz SR 6200 and the Onkyo TX-DS797 I tried both cut off the first bit of the tracks on RUSH Power Windows and Depech Mode Singles 86-98.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
What exactly is the "pause"? I'm an SR7000 user and have not noticed anything funky in the time (almost 2 years I think) that I've had the receiver.

-Max

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Max-
Every SR7000 I've demoed and listened to in stores and in homes has done it. It's not a "defect" per se--simply the rate at which the receiver begins to decode the AC-3 signal from a DVD.
"Dropout" is not really a correct term. I've never had a problem with audio "dropping out". What it is, is that split-second as an encoded digital signal (from DVD--doesn't happen with CDs) begins that the receiver decides how to process it. It's most noticeable when you're in DVD menus with immediate sounds/cutscenes as you make choices in the menu. If you notice, the lead end of the sound is often not present, as your receiver displays "No Signal" for a split second, then goes to "DVD/Dig#" as the sound begins (or whatever it may read). When starting a movie, the first few seconds is always silent, so this is a non-issue; however, sometimes bonus features, documentaries, etc. begin right off the bat with dialogue, and the first word or two can be cut off.
If you don't notice it, that's great--if you start to notice it, and it bothers you, then I'm sorry. :)
Anyway, it's the only real gripe I have about my receiver--I'm just glad I'm not having the problems many of the 7200 owners are having.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Andy is right. I had a Sony ES receiver briefly that had a much longer decoding delay than my present Marantz SR-8200. I also had had Pioneer Elite, but it was a little faster than the Marantz. It is a slight annoyance, but not really distracting to me. All in all, I am very happy with the performance/features/sound quality of the 8200.

Pete

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NOTE: If you are not using a digital connection ie; if you are using the analog inputs you WILL NOT have the delay, since no digital decoding is taking place. My 6200 has the delay with my DVD player, but not with my analog CD. My 4000 in the bedroom is hooked to that DVD via analog, and it also does not have delays.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it happens with mine when the DVD or CD player is connected to the receiver via a digital cable. The receiver takes a split second to start decoding and playing back the digital signal. If your CD player is connected to your receiver via analog inputs, then there's no problem. It is really only noticable on CD's that start at 0:00. Not all CD's do that. This is something that is unacceptable and if the receiver companies want to sell me DAC's in their receivers, they are going to have to make them decode ALL of the signal.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
John G hit it right on the nose. It's the encoded digital connections that are doing it. However, I've also noticed that CD's played in my DVD player don't pause anywhere near as long--it's pretty much imperceptible. Neither do PCM tracks. Weird, eh? :)
Also, I have heard that digital-coax users have a bit shorter "delay" than the optical/Toslink users. I use digital coax for my DVD player. Have not tried the optical.
So, when I first experienced this, I wasn't sure what was the culprit--at first, I figured it was the receiver (I usually have my surround mode set to "auto") trying to decide the format and output accordingly. So I figured if I changed the mode from "auto" to "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" to skip that step, the pause would go away. No luck. That's not the problem--it simply takes that long for the receiver to decode and output. Weird.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am also using coax digital. That may be why my delay is not as bothersome to me. I don't like it, but I haven't started pulling my hair out over it.
The length of the delay also seems to vary with the specific combination of source and reciever.
The one disc it bothers me most on it Moby's "Play" DVD, as the megamix starts off with a snare hit, and I lose about half of it. It all comes down to what you can and can't live with :)
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things..."

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I have tried playing DVDs using both optical and Coax. There was no difference at all. I also tried using my playstation 2 has a DVD player with the same results. My delay seems longer than others are having.

Here are some examples of problems from the Shrek DVD:

1. Delay at begining of movie (doesn't bother me much)

2. First few seconds after layer change is missing (big problem with me; very distracting)

3. After the credits, the movie goes into the Kareokee extension. Shrek says something like "Hi there and welcome to the shrek Kareokee dance party"...All I hear is ".....rek Kareokee dance party". (Again very distracting)

4. The menus are totally messed up! Example...When Gingerbread man says "not my gumdrop buttons!" I hear ".....uttons!" (Annoying)

5. Character interviews - In the Donkey interview the first question is "How was it working with Shrek?" All I hear is ".....Shrek?" (Very irritating)

6. Last example.... The Mirror on the Wall kids game has no sound at all because the sound bits are too short!

My Marantz 8200 over 3 times as much as my old lower end Yamaha and the Yamaha didn't miss anything noticable at all! Like I said before....a $1600 receiver should not be exhibiting such a bad delay!

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Tom-

That does sound a bit severe. Those are exactly the problems I'm describing, but I don't have anywhere near that amount of delay. It's good that you tried it with 2 different DVD players too--I would have suggested that. You might consider talking to the retailer from which you bought it. I think you have a good case for a return/exchange. I'd demo the one they have set up in the store. Bring your Shrek DVD with you, and see if the one in the store does the same thing.

What a pain in the ass, though--sorry to hear about those problems. The receiver is a great one for sure, it's a shame that delay is so severe. It really does sound like a bit of an anomaly though.

Tom_Mack,
It's funny that you mention the Shrek DVD features, because I just noticed yesterday the same dorp-outs when going through the different features. You miss most of the dialog (like the mirror game). The only way to make it work is in analog mode...:frowning:
Disapointed owner of a Marantz SR5200. BTW, I'm suppose to here from a Marantz rep. before the week-end for that inacceptable problem on the Marantz line of receiver. Reading here that older (8000) and more expensive (8200) models had the same problem does not encourage me for a possible fix in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks