Did Picture Quality on Dish Network Just Change?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott-S, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I just noticed that starting today, the picture has gotten worse. This is 3 different TVs and 2 receivers. The picture on all TVs seems more murky and less bright. Even a little more fuzzy. All channels appear to be affected.

Did they just turn down the BW per channel or something?

Am I going nuts, or does anyone else notice anything?

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I guess it was just me. The Fox coverage of the football game was really murky, low contrast, dim, blurry.

Now that I have slept on it, I think the other channels are not any different than they have been. It was just the football game was so bad it made me start looking for problems on other channels.

In the words of Gilda Radner:
    "Never Mind"

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Something about the FOX-HD/Dish Network connection has always been a bit quirky to me here in the Northeast. When they first started offering HD locals in NY back in February the FOX-HD feed was very problematical - especially the audio portion which was either non-existent, had numerous dropouts or suffered from severe stuttering on the then new Vip 622 HD DVRs. It was nerve racking since both "24" and American Idol were so affected. I actually started watching the SD feeds which didn't show these problems. At the time Fox was blaming Dish, Dish was blaming Fox, people were blaming the HW/SW, etc. Now, several months later, the problem has completely disappeared (fingers crossed.)

Interestingly for me FOX-HD has been one of the more stunning visual presentations out of all 35 HD channels. It's just the audio that needed attention and I think that they finally identified and corrected the problem.

Bleeding Edge territory stuff.

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Since I am watching only in SD, maybe the issue is the way Fox downconverts the HD image to SD.

The picture quality on both my East coast and West coast fox feeds was murky and dim.

5. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    If you have OTA HD, you can always compare. I always do (I have DirecTV), and Fox has problems sometimes.