Did my surge protectors fail me?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 1, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I guess while I was at work today the power went out for a couple minutes. I thought it was no big deal because I have a brand new Brickwall 2RAUD with a Belkin Surge Master II plugged into that. Well I come home to listen to some Quicksand (a band) and I turn everything on and I push play and NO sound comes out from the speakers at all. I tried the audio from my DVD player and the same thing, no sound! So I decided that I would try switching my Surge Master II off and on, well that did it, and like magic I had sound again. Does anybody know why this happened and does it mean one of my surge protectors not work?!
    Thanks!
    james
    ps If it helps I have a Sony STR-DE725 Receiver.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I dont know what it means as far as if the surge protector is ruined or anything, but I have noticed that sometimes when we have power outages I have to unplug my computer and switch the voltage setting back and forth once before it will power up again. I have been told (second hand) that this is not normal, but I havent had any other problems with it. I have also had other devices that need "reset" in some way or another after power outages. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Is it possible your surge protector has a built in trip mechanism? i.e. it trips and must be reset when it gets a big surge or other voltage spike. If you're really worried about those spikes/dips when the power company on/offs the power supply then I'd suggest investing in a UPS instead of a simple surge protector.

cheers,

--tom

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

James,

Do you KNOW for a fact the utility power went down in your neighborhood? Did all yr nonbattery-backup clocks, VCR etc stop and go to 000? Maybe there was just a momentary outage -- you'd have to call the utility public info office to make certain.

If either case, it seems the surge protector kicked in when power was restored. I have a SurgeMaster II, however, and it's my understanding that it doesnt really have a reset feature -- at least no external knob except the primary on/off.

I believe these Belkin models are run-of-the-mill MOV protectors, which means they take the big hit and are knocked out permanently!

Do you still have the green "Protected" light on the faceplate below the red "Grounded"? If everything looks and plays back to normal, I guess you're ok and managed to miss the bullet.

on edit: I must say I dont know how the Brickwall fits into the chain; perhaps it was the one that took the first "hit."

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    What baffles me is there was apparently power to all components, yet no sound until the surge protector was reset. Very strange indeed.