Did my part to stop bootleggers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Hollis, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Wayne Hollis

Wayne Hollis Auditioning

It seems like bootleggers are either getting a little more stupid, or really brave. I went to a street festival in a neighboring county a week or so ago. As I was checking out the different boothes, I noticed one of them was selling music CD's and movies, both VHS and DVD. So I went to go check it out, thinking I could find a good deal on some used DVD's. I started checking out the music CD's and noticed that they we're all shrink wrapped, current titles. Upon closer inspection of the cover art I realized that the front and back inserts were made with an ink jet printer. All the other CD's I looked at revealed the same thing. I asked the person working the booth if these were CDR's, and she said they were CD's (probably not knowing the difference), so then I asked if they were copies and she said they were. I was really surprised that she would admit that. Then I started looking at the DVD's she had there. After seeing the first one, I didn't have to go any further. In a standard shrink-wrapped DVD case was a copy of Red Dragon, you know, the one that is currently in theaters. This total disregard of my favorite medium really got under my skin. This being a large outdoor event with thousands of people, and held before the DC area sniper was caught, there was a large showing of local sheriff deputies and state police. So I went and found the first state trooper I could, and informed him of my discovery. I went back to the booth and hung around for a little while to see what would happen. About 5 minutes later the trooper came to the booth and looked around, in a "just browsing" kind of way, and then left. I thought he just blew it off, until about 15 minutes later he came back with another trooper and started asking questions. About 5 minutes went by, and the next thing you see is the troopers locking up the booth operators, and 4 sheriff deputies came and boxed up everything and took it away. I would say they had to box up 200 to 300 CD's and DVD's.
    Hopefully Universal Studios will see this, and in appreciation give me an advance copy of Red Dragon!!![​IMG] Okay, I can wish can't I.
    --Wayne
    p.s. And, for those of you wondering. No, I did NOT buy any of the material they were selling.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

[​IMG]
    Good job! They got what they deserved! [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Wow! The cops I tell never arrest the bootleggers

Pat on the back! Great job!

4. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

sweet [​IMG]

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Is there a smilie for a pat on the back? [​IMG]
    Good work, sir! Take an ice cream out of petty cash! [​IMG]

6. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

David, perhaps I have a dirty mind, but that ice cream smily is extremely distubing [​IMG]

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[​IMG]

8. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

LMAO, haha. Poor bootleggers, i think its ok for people to get bootlegged material as long as they buy the retail product eventually. Probably not agreeing with you guys, but just my $0.02.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

9. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Way to go, Wayne.

Just out of curiousity, how much were they selling the DVDs for?

Jon

10. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Unfortunatly they only locked up the idiot that the actual bootlegger paid 100 a day to stand in the booth. Hell, maybe they will flip on the real guy.

11. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

13. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

14. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

15. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Great job!
    A HIP-HIP-HURRAH for you!