Did my kids ruin my TV? URGENT!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nathan_F, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    I have an Toshiba 56H80 RPTV. My son was spraying cleaner around the room and saturated the glare screen. Before it could be cleaned off it started seeping under the screen. Can this be cleaned out?

P.S.-- I was not home at the time. I am told my son is alive. My wife mentioned something about the witness protection/protective custody program...

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi

My 2 year old "little animal" did the same to my 65H80 this spring.

I removed the screen, then put each layer in the shower to rinse off. I then used a hair dryer to fast dry the layers and then put them all back together.

Several things to mention:
    the lenticular layer can easily crack
    the fresnal layer can easily scratch
    Either layer can easily be melted by the hair dryer.
    do this in a room that is clean and well vacuumed to minimize dirt getting in between the layers.
    Cover the work space with some king size bed sheets to minimize possible dust entry between the layers.
    You will need at least 1 assistant ( in addition to your
    son).

Best wishes!!

Gregg

3. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Well, took everything apart. Cleaned.. and cleaned.. and cleaned.. after about 7 passes on each screen (protective, fresnel and lenticular), it was finally clean. I don't know what the cleaner my little critter was using, but it did not want to come off. Put everything back together, and it all looks good. 1.5 hours altogether. Man... that was not fun.

Found tips on cleaning the CRTs when I was in there too. I figured "while I'm in there..." Pic looks good now. The boy can live [​IMG]

Thanks for the tips!