Did my CD player kill my receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RoyGSoto, Apr 5, 2004.

1. RoyGSoto

RoyGSoto Auditioning

I have a Denon 3802 AV receiver and a Pioneer Elite 5-disc DVD/CD player...they've gotten along fine for 2 years until the other night during a song I heard a "click" and the Denon shut itself off. The only light still lit was the standby light, which was flashing.

I turned it back on, and it still works great with the TV and my other inputs, but as soon as I push the play button on my CD player "click", the receiver shuts off. The CD player can be on, just not playing. What gives? Suggestions?

Roy ([email protected])

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Roy,

How is your DVD/CD player connected to the 3802, via digital cable? If so, chances are either the DVD/CD player's digital output has gone faulty or the digital cable itself is bad or shorted. Do you have this problem using the DVD/CD player's analog outputs?

The other possibility is that the input on the 3802 is bad. Have you tried another input on the 3802 with the output from the DVD/CD player?

Michael

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it only happens when you press play on the CD, you either have a short in the interconnect or your have a faulty CD player. Since it doesn't seem to be damaging your receiver (I wouldn't do this too many times), try the CD player on a different input, or as mentioned above, try another device in the input the CD is using now. This will narrow the problem to the CD player itself or the input on the receiver.

4. RoyGSoto

RoyGSoto Auditioning

Hokay, you guys are geniouses. I changed the input to VDP (whatever that is) and the CD audio plays perfectly, and nothing turns off. Hooray...CD problem fixed. Now, I discovered a new problem.

The CD player is also a DVD player, and when I try to watch a DVD I don't get a picture on my screen unless I've selected "DVD" on my remote, which of course makes the stupid thing click off IF I have the audio connected to DVD. So I can either have DVD audio with no video when I have the audio input from the CD/DVD player plugged into VDP and VDP selected on my remote, or I can have video with no audio with the same settings if I push DVD on my remote. Alternatively, I can have both with a mono signal...I tried plugging the red and white connectors in individually into the DVD inputs, and it seems the red one's fine, and white one makes it go poof.

Further suggestions?

5. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

deep breaths.....

6. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Have you tried plugging the audio into the VDP (as you did before) and simply connecting to video directly to your tv?

It sounds like youre using analog cables? Have you tried a digital cables? If so, same result?

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like there is a good chance it is your cable. Get a new one, just because the cables included in the box are usually far less than stellar quality.

Do you have a stereo or 5.1+ setup? If you have a multi-channel setup, and you are using only the L+R stereo connections instead of an optical or coaxial digital connection, you are missing out on Dolby Digital and DTS.

I agree with Jarvis - send your video signal straight to the TV if you can. If your TV has enough inputs, there's no reason to send the video signal through the receiver.

8. RoyGSoto

RoyGSoto Auditioning

Hoo boy, this is confusing. OK, this is what's happened:

1. I ran the video signal directly from the DVD player to the TV and bingo, I have video signal. Thank you Jarvis!

2. I set up my receiver to use the optical digital cable rather than the analog signal, and I now also have audio which, I must say, sounds *way* better than it ever has before for both my DVDs and CDs. Thank you John!

So you'd think that I'm now in the clear, but nooooooo...

3. My receiver has a multi mode that I use to listen to my system up in my bedroom (5.1 downstairs, 2 speakers upstairs). Previously I just set "multi" on my remote to whatever I was listening to downstairs and it worked great. Now I get nothing upstairs, so I figure maybe it's a result of the optical signal not being sent upstairs for some bizarre reason. So I hook up my CD/DVD player again to VDP and I still get audio through my DVD optical hookup downstairs, but as soon as I set my multi to VDP 'CLICK', it turns itself off again.

Can you guys figure THAT one out? :b

9. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Roy,
    Are you trying to run the main and second rooms at the same time?

Well I don't know if your Denon is anything like my old JVC with dual zones (I have an H/K 525 now), but if it is, then you can't have the main room set to any kind of DD/DTS modes and play a source in the 2nd room. Also, the second room would not pick up the digital signal at all, only an analog signal. So you would have to connect both the digital optical and analog cables to receive sound from both sets of speakers. But remember that I couldn't run the main room in a DD/DTS mode while playing the second room. I could run 5 speakers in the main room (ie 5 channel stereo) and it was fine, but no DD/DTS.

It also kind of sounds like you may have some bad analog cables as well, I would try a new pair of cables to make sure you aren't blowing anything on your receiver.