Did Microsoft & Nintendo learn from Sony's PS2 Launch blunder??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

The topic says it all.
    My opinion is a resounding YES.
    In my area,while there were less Xboxen to go around,it was a sellout,and I know of some stores (including mine) that have gotten in their 2nd shipments in. If the sound chip problem is isolated. Then Microsoft is going to be okay. My store,so far,has had in about 54 systems.
    Nintendo did even better,IMO.
    In my store,what I predicted came true. Because of the $200 price point,and the Nintendo name,families were out in force to buy the Gamecube. We got in 200,& sold about 180 or so. That was so awesome ( and hectic as hell).
    The PS2 is still selling as well. MGS2 is the big title,as well as GTA3 (which no other store is my area seems to have at the moment).
    I really think that we will know nothing about market share,and winners & losers,until after Xmas 2002.
    After the 3 systems have had time to settle in,get their online strategty going,and then we will know.
    All companies have something different to offer consumers. All 3 are powerful. And Nintendo isn't going anywhere,so don't even think about them becoming the next Sega. I honestly think that all three systems can survive. History says no - but never has 3 competing systems had something very different to offer the consumer at the same time.
    I'm sick of the fanboys. I am very happy with my PS2,and my GC. And when I can afford it,I will be happy with my Xbox. There has Never been a better time to be a gamer,and I for one,am going to enjoy it.
    Calvin

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Well said Calvin.
    In my area the Cube seems to be a bigger success than the X-box, but both sold well. Between my PS2 and Cube, I will have many great games to play. I will probally get the X-box after it's 1st price drop. All I know is that I feel all 3 systems can survive. I hope they do, that means more gaming goodness for all of us. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Again, in my midwest city the GameCube is found in most stores, but the Xbox is impossible.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Did both companies learn from the PS2 debacle of a year ago? Yes. But do keep in mind that they are sharing their launch markets, unlike when the PS2 launched and was literally the only game in town. Each system, if being released alone, might have encountered similar shortages, but the fact that gamers now have 3 systems to choose from spreads the wealth around. And keep in mind that the economy has slowed due to the terrorist attacks. Six months ago I was sure I'd buy both the XBox and GCN at launch. Now I'm only going to buy one after XMas, and the other one probably next summer or when the first price drop hits.

5. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i know, im shocked. I walked in today to a local EB and said "I know this is a stupid questions, but do you know when in the future you will be able to just walk in and buy a xbox without being on a reserve list etc" and the guy just snickered and said "we have a bunch right now, want one"

boy was that the wrong question..i had to muster ever ounce of strength to say no..i must wait until after xmas..or my wife will probably kill me!

: (

6. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

Calvin: excellent post!

i'm platform agnostic as well, and in aother post, I said much of the same: the market has never been able to support 3 players.

I also agree that all 3 have unique strengths and weaknesses,

and all 3 have some jaw dropping exclusive titles.

In both the short and long term, WE are the winners of the "console war". But i think you're right (and i stated earlier).... NEXT christmas will probably set up the squeezing out of one of them.

there are lots of cool little histroy tidbits, but at the same time, this is a pretty unprecendented time in the industry, so we'll have to play it by ear.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think they learned from the shortage of PS2s the whole season rather than from the launch. MS had only 400k units at launch, but from what I heard in another thread, they are shipping them almost daily. Nintendo has 700k at launch and is supposed to ship them often. Both companies will have around 1.1-1.2 million units by year's end.

Did they learn something? Yes. Would they have probably launched the same anyway? Probably.

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Did they learn?

I'd say no.

Just like PS2, GCN and Xbox launched with a mediocre library of games. Perhaps, mediocre is the wrong word. I mean, when a console launches (especially a Nintendo console) I expect there to be an accompanying game that redefines gaming.

The original Playstation and N64 launched with titles that literally blew the doors off the gaming world. I want a Mario64 for my Xbox and Gamecube!! And I don't mean a clone.

I expect these ultra-powerful systems to take me to new places -not to the same places derivative games like Halo and Rogue Leader emulate. High polish isn't revolutionary.

I don't want to sound too negative. I'm having fun even though I'm a bit disappointed. I'll be patient and give each console the opportunity to blow my socks off.

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I actually wonder if it is such a good thing for Nintendo to have so many Gamecubes available right now. Think about it for a minute: What was the hot ticket last year at this time? The Playstation 2, of course! But why? Because everyone and their brother wanted one, and there were very few to go around. That creates demend, and demand for a product during the Holiday Shopping Season creates media buzz, and media buzz makes an item even more popular than before. Right now, Xbox appears to be the hottest ticket in town because it is harder to find one in stores. If people see Gamecubes wherever they go but can never find a store that has an Xbox for sale, that can create the impression that the Xbox is the system to get.

Oh and Camp, agree with Joel and Brian. The games that have launched with all three consoles are very good, but would never be as revolutionary as Super Mario 64 was. I see this generational leap as a refinement of what we already have, sort of like the transition between the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

12. Calvin Watts III

All excellent points,everyone...

You are right about none of the systems having that "OMG this is sooo cool" factor that Mario64 had with the N64. And it got me thinking...what was the 1st home system to do that for me.

I mean, the whoa.....cool !!! factor.

And I came up with the Colecovision.

The most powerful system for a time,it boasted some great games,and some great arcade conversions,including the game packed in with the system.

Which everyone wanted to have.

The game,you ask???

Nintendo's Donkey Kong.

By Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto.

His 1st game.

The man is the videogaming god.

Nuff' said.

Calvin

13. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, Pikmin had better rock!

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Though the theoretical ceiling on these new machines are significantly higher than the previous generation (I'm talking from PS1 to 2, from N64 to GCN, etc.) there is a limit to how much time/effort PROGRAMMERS will go in creating these games. If a machine pushes 100 million polygons per second, does that mean a programmer is going to put 100 million p/s in a game? Probably not. Games are already huge efforts, with budgets in the millions. I think we'll start seeing a little bit of a plateau until some new breakthrough in game programming comes along and redefines the genre. As it is, games have a year plus from inception to market date, and that's almost as long as a movie!

15. Michael St. Clair

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Could you fit all that on a ColecoVision cartridge? I'm pretty sure the Atari XL/XE version was a 16K cart, but CV may only have been able to hold 8K on a cartridge.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that if your name is Nintendo or you have the most powerful hardware by leaps and bounds ahead of the competition in some important aspects (X-Box) then there really is no way to screw up a console launch unless you have REALLY bad games.

Nintendo and MS don't have great games, but they aren't horrible.

18. Calvin Watts III

19. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Well, I feel that the X-box and the Gamecube both had some great games at launch. Are any of them ground-breaking in new gameplay? No, but they are very fun games.

The Gamecube has Super Monkey Ball, Tony Hawk 3, Rogue Leader, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion, Madden 2002, and Batman.

The X-box has Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Munch, Madden 2002, NFL Fever, DOA 3, and Tony Hawk 2X.

Those are some impressive looking Launch titles for each system.

-Dean-

20. Michael St. Clair