What's new

Did JBL correct the PB12 reliability problems? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello,

I have auditioned the PB12 and think it sounds pretty good for a budget subwoofer. I am however shocked at the reliability reports. Some go dead inside of a week and it is such a major problem that repair shops can't even get the parts in a timely matter. I would think a company like JBL would correct these problems as soon as they are discovered on the assembly line. Most of the reports about reliability date back earlier in 01 and 00 but not much is said now about it. I assume JBL has corrected this but can anyone comfirm this?

thanks

Chris

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm.......where are you getting these reliability reports from? Most of the reviews I've seen on the PB12 have been rather positive.

Their older line of subs, the PSW series, had lots of known problems with their amplifiers off the assembly line. That's why you see a lot of these models being sold as refurbs.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hello,

At audioreview.com the reviews are very positive except for reliability. At least every other review has indicated amp failure. Of coarse audioreview is not very scientific and full of brand bashers. I have found a few reports here about people having some problems. I have listened to this sub and its pretty good but I don't want one that is going to fail. Most reports about problems go way back so I think JBL corrected the problem but want to be doubly sure.

Chris

David Glenn

Second Unit
I thought I read there were more problems with the pb10. I picked up a pb12 about 2 weeks ago and so far no problems.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I picked up 2 PB10s last January. Both died around November. I opened them up and the amp version was 6.3 and the date was 2000.

JBL replaced them with new PB10s and the amp version is now 7.2 with a 2001 date. I'm hoping they got the bugs out with the newer versions.

I didn't know the PB12s had problems though?

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm..
JBL replaced my old PSW-D110 sub with a PB-10 quite some time ago...
The PB-10 sounds SO much better than the PSW ever did...
But I havent had any problems with it so far....Now you got me nervous! :)
-Ryan

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, the PB12 uses a totally different amp than the PB10. The PB12's amp doesn't have reliability issues.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I've had my PB12 for some time now and I haven't had any problems, except for a slight humming when you get close to the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks