Did I wire enough?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Justification, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Justification

Justification Auditioning

OK, sorry if it's been covered but a quick perusal of the site did not give me the answer.
    I finished up my home theater about 3 years ago, but never actually got HD TV brought in. Instead we've just used it as a DVD mecca with occasionally watching a football game using the VCR as a tuner, but scan lines do detract from the game.
    Just tried to have DirectTV bring in HDTV and "cable" to the rest of the house but the installer said I was missing needed cables. I had run 3 RG6 lines from outside the house to the distribution center, and 4 RG6 from there to the Theater stack, but only 1 to each other room. The installer said I needed 4 from outside and 2 to each DVR. Felt like the stereotypical cable TV installation moment when he showed up 3 hours after I thought he would and then said I was missing stuff.
    I've got RGBHV from the stack to the projector along with S-video, but did not run DVI or HDMI.
    Do I need to cut into the drywall to fish DVI to the projector, or will the RGBHV cables provide the same picture when I do get an HDTV signal.
    What are my options to get HDTV to this room of the house, while still being able to watch different shows on the 4 different analogue TVs in the house?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will need HDMI when broadcasters start using the copy protection flag (if they ever do). Otherwise, component video will work just fine.

As for the DirecTV stuff, you will need at least 4 cables from the dish to a central location where the installer will put a multi-switch. A single cable will feed a regular receiver or two cables will feed a DVR (they are all dual tuners). Here's where it gets equipment specific. Did you get the HR10-250 HD DVR or the new HR20-700? Did you get the Phase III dish or the new AT9 dish? Did you get an antennal for local HD or will you receive it via satellite? What other receivers did you order?

-Robert

3. Justification

Justification Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback Robert.
    We did not get anything at all due to the installer saying I wasn't wired properly. My plan WAS 1 HD receiver, 2 DVRs and one regular receiver.
    If I read correctly what you say then the three RG6 would have been sufficient to get the signal from the dish to the central location if I did not get an over the air antenna?
    Since there is only one coax from the furnace room to all rooms except the Home Theater, could he have put regular receivers in those rooms and still given me an HD-DVR in the home theater where there are 4 coax lines?
    I ordered up Digital Cable to be installed Monday and they assured me that what I've got will do the trick.
    I've heard that Satellite is better than cable for HD so is there any difference in Dish hardware that would work with what I've got?
    Sorry if these questions have been answered before, I'm just not finding them.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I just looked at a few diagrams on the Dish site and it may work with your 3 cables. They use stacker technology on their dishes so the number of cables is reduced. You would still be limited to single tuner receivers in all other rooms but the theater. There you could have a dual tuner HD DVR. All rooms could have OTA channels as well by piggybacking the OTA signal on a satellite cable.

Comparing Dish and DirecTV is like guys talking about Ford and Chevy trucks. Some have different opinions. I'm one of those. I had Dish for a year and it was one of the worst television decisions I ever made. I had an early DVR that was so bad it had it's own class action lawsuit. Don't buy Dish based on promised upgrades because they won't come. I went back to DirecTV the week my contract was up and I have been extremely happy with a standard DVR and a HD DVR feeding a 55" HDTV and an HD projector on a 103" screen. With some creative wiring and activity based remote controls (Harmony 880's), everything works like a charm. My wife can press one button and everything is turned on and configured to watch what she wants, where she wants.

-Robert