What's new

Did I ruin my tweeter? (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I bought some "factory outlet" Axiom M40 towers, and they sounded great as soon as I plugged them in. The only cosmetic flaws were some "streaks" on one of the tower's tweeter domes, like some dirty water dried there. Now I know this probably wouldn't affect the sound, but I have a bad habit of taking things apart for the smallest reasons, so I took the tweeter out of the tower and unscrewed the other four screws, assuming it would simply remove the plastic frame off the front of the tweeter.

I was wrong -- the aluminum dome is attached to the front plastic frame, and what I did by removing the second set of four screws was to remove the dome from the magnet. I immediately put it back together (there are "key posts" for alignment and the bottom of the tweeter dome fits in a circular gap between the two concentric magnets) and played some trumpet concertos. Immediately I noticed a very small buzzing coming from the tweeter I took apart when the trumpet played high and loud!

I took the tweeter apart again, thinking the aligment was off (how could it be?) and looked at the gap where the bottom of the dome slips in. There is a dark, thin grease-like substance filling *most* of the gap where the dome fits in (between the two concentric magnets). I assumed the problem was that 1/5 of the circular gap no longer had any of this grease, so I took a very small amount of bicycle spoke grease and filled the gap, and re-assembled the tweeter.

On the same music, the buzz is gone! But did I ruin the tweeter in the long-term? What kind of "grease" really belongs there?

Thanks for any advice!

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
G'day Peter,
Contact Axiom and have them send you a replacement tweeter. It most likely won't cost that much, and err there could be FR anomalies with using bicyle grease instead of ferro-fluid ;)
Cheers,
Mal

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"so I took a very small amount of bicycle spoke grease and filled the gap, and re-assembled the tweeter."
I am just glad you are not a surgeon.:D

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
John: yeah, most of my mechanical work has been with bicycles and computers. I tend to jump into things...
i think i will buy a new tweeter.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks