What's new

Did I ruin my speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jorge O'Neill

Auditioning
A few days ago I had a party at home and cranked up the volume too loud. It was just for a second or so because the sound was completely distorted so I had to turn it down again. My denon has 100W per speaker max output and the Aegis One speakers have a 130W max input, so I didn't reach the "legal" speaker limit. After that I've been trying to pick sound anomalies and I think I found some but I'm not sure if it is just me!!

How can I be sure if the speakers are ruined? If they are is there any way to fix them or do I have to by new ones?

Many thanks

Michael_T

Second Unit
Technically speaking, the power ratings that you mention are merely guides for what a speaker and an amplifier/receiver will deliver - it really doesn't indicate whether or not you will cause damage to your equipment if you are within the "legal" limit. Even though you state the Denon delivers 100watts per channel, and your speakers are rated to a max of 130watts per channel is irrelative.

What damages speakers, is not so much the power ratings, and being within the limits, but the "clipping" or distortion you might introduce to your speakers by driving your amplifier too hard. Seeing as you turned up your Denon to the point of distortion, would lead me to believe that you sent it into "clipping" - which probably sent a damaging signal to your speakers. It is very well possible that your damaged your speakers. It is also possible, that since it was for such a short period of time that everything is alright, and you are merely looking too hard to see if there is anything wrong.

Obviously, if you hear sounds coming from your speakers that are not "correct" something might have happened when you may have sent your amplifier into "overdrive".

If you did damage your speakers, it is not necessary to purchase new speakers, other than to have the actual driver unit (tweeter, woofer, etc.) that may have been damaged replaced. Many speakers are under 5 or more year manufacturer warranties - and can be fixed as such.

I would first actually determine if the speaker is damaged, and then inquire at an authorized dealer about replacement drivers for your speakers. Even if they are no longer under warranty - the replacement of a single driver unit would probably be less expensive than having to purchase a new set of speakers.

Jorge O'Neill

Auditioning
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge Michael!

This may be a stupid question, but is there any kind of test that I can do to know for sure if the speakers are damaged?

Thanks

PomingF

Second Unit
grap one of those test CD's with 20-20KHz sweeps and this should give you some idea.

PF

BryanEB

Agent
Just found this thread and was wondering, could this type of thing cause any damage to a sub?

I accidentally cranked my Yamaha RX-V2200 (to about -5db volume) the other day for a split second and just want to be sure that everything is ok while my speakers and sub are still under warranty. Speakers are B&W 602's and sub is an M&K MX-125MKII.

Thanks,

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks