Did I purchase a bootleg?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin Eckhardt, May 12, 2004.

1. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I figured that those of you in the Music Forum likely have more experience than I do with imported CD's.

I recently purchased a copy of the "Bend It Like Beckham" soundtrack from an Amazon.com Marketplace seller. It was advertised as an Indian import and was selling for a very low price (~$6) from a number of different merchants. I picked one with decent feedback and placed an order.

I popped it in to listen and there is some audio stuttering on the first track. There are also a number of dialog tracks with clips from the movie and every single one of them gets cut off mid-word about halfway through what I would guess the clip should be. This seemed a little strange so I looked at the CD a little closer.

The CD is in one of those thin cases. The insert has a slightly modified version of the UK cover art on the front and a track listing on the back. Relevant text includes "Universal Music India","Under exclusive sub license from I Dream Production", "Designed by EPiGRAM", and "Special Introductory Offer Rs. 99/- only (incl. of all taxes)" (99 rupees converts to about $2). On inspection of the CD itself on the underside of the hub are a string of numbers and "CDR MULTISPEED". Packaging and artwork differences can be expected, but the CDR thing worried me.

I contacted the vendor with my concerns and they insist that it is not a bootleg. They shipped it out to me very quickly and are willing to take it back so I'm not concerned about that. I am curious as to whether this is a legit CD (though not the highest quality) and I'm just reading too much into it or if it is likely a bootleg intended for sale in India (so technically it would be an import). I can take some pictures if that would help.

Kevin

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Actually, I believe that the correct term for what you bought is a "pirated" copy. These are designed to look just like the original, legitimate release. A bootleg is a recording that was never officially released by the artist or studio, although many bootlegs look as good as a commercial release. Either way, CDR is quite the tip-off!

3. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

Please report this to Amazon.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Make sure you report this to amazon they will kick this guy/gal off so others don't get scamed. I don't know how far they will go legally but... I would also ask amazon to credit your account. Usually they have the other persons account info so they may take it from the seller, I don't know but I would ask for a refund......... and to have the person "taken out" [​IMG]

R~

5. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I suspected as much when I saw the 'CDR' thing on the bottom but since I know nothing about CD distribution methods in India I figured I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt and get a second opinion. Even if it wasn't pirated I still intended to return it due to the sub-par quality.

I contacted Amazon letting them know I was sold what appears to be a pirated CD. I'll let you know what they say.

The big question is: are any of the "Indian Imports" for this CD legit or are all of them pirated? The Cd was available from several different vendors for about the same price.