What's new

Did I make a mistake? (1 Viewer)

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
We just purchased a Sony KP57WV700---it's going to be delivered in about a month, when we move into our new house, as I didn't feel like having it delivered here then having to pay to have it moved again.
I recently read about the flicker problems this and other Sony rear projection TVs are having. Did I make a mistake getting this brand? Should I call back and change our selection? The set was on sale for $3,150 which seemed like a good deal.
Could use the advice before it's too late.
TIA

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There is a flicker bug in some of the Sony models. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the one you mention is one of the affected ones.

I don't think this is a reason to boycott Sony TVs. Having gone through the flicker issue, I can say it is a little annoying, but they did end up replacing my CRTs under warranty.

If Sony would otherwise be your brand of choice, I'd stick with it.

If it does come down to having to have your CRTs replaced and you are told they are on "back order," I suggest calling Sony directly. From my own experience and from what I have read elsewhere, this does seem to speed things along.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Rick,

The Flicker problem affected KP57HW40 and the newer WS500 and WT500 series sets with serial numbers starting with 90. From what I've been able to gather over at the Sony forum at Home Theater spot including some posts from a CC sales guy familiar with returns and such, the WV700 models haven't had the problem.

The chassis on the WV600 and WV700 models is significantly different from that of the affected models.

I don't think you need to worry. Sony seems to be responding well to the issue in any case.

Rick Anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. This is my first projection TV so I am a babe in the woods here. I spent weeks looking into which model to get online and then spent 2.5 hours at the store deciding between the model I bought the KF50XBR800 LCD projection TV. I went with the conventional projection TV rather than the LCD because it was more proven and then I started reading about the flicker problems and got worried I'd made the wrong choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks