What's new

Did I make a mistake by buying the Denon 3805? (1 Viewer)

Scott R Thomas

Auditioning
Hi

I have never owned an AV receiver before so this is all new to me. I am building a home theater and I just bought a new Denon 3805 AV reciever. I got a great price on it but I'm wondering if I did the wrong thing by getting the 3805 because there is no HDMI on it. Here are the components that I want to hook up to the reciever:

1) DishTv HD Receiver- I don't have this yet so I'm not sure how it hooks up. My current DishTV reciever is just coax or composite. Anyone know if the Dish HD Recievers have HDMI or component outputs??

2) Xbox 360- component input
3) Samsung DVD Player- HDMI or Component input so I guess component for this one
4) Panasonic AE900U Projector- I guess this would be hooked up to the component output on the reciever?

Also I noticed that the 3805 has 7 S-Video inputs and 3 S video outputs. Doesn't S video suck? I know component is better than s video but is composite better as well? If so why does this reciever have so many s video inputs and outputs. More component inputs would seem like a better choice.

Any help would be appreciated

Scott

brendy

Agent
The 3802 is an excellent receiver,not to worry.S-Video is much better than composite.Right now most A/V receivers still have only 3 component inputs.Yes the component output on the receiver goes to your monitor.

EdClay

Agent
And yes the Dish HD receivers (211,411 and 622) have HDMI
connection as well as component with optical cable
hookup to receiver for audio.

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
Short answer is yes and no!

It all depends what you want out if it and what else youll be adding.

I went for the 3806 because it had more component inputs AND HDMI plus the analog to HDMI conversion.
I had run out of HD inputs on my old receiver.
Plus I was intrigued about how good Audyssey was.

If youre not adding anything else to your system I would say you probably made the right choice.
If, however you plan to add in a DVD player with HDMI (or they come out with an HDMI cable for the 360) I would take it back and get something with HDMI.

As for the cable box and HDMI?

Dont worry about it.

Nearly everyone has had issues with HDCP and HDMI connections from cable boxes to receivers.
As such they genereally stick with component cables instead.

Scott R Thomas

Auditioning
Thanks for all the posts. Another Question...

would it be better to run the Satellite HD Reciever HDMI connection directly to the Panasonic projector and bypass the receiver all together? If I do this can I still run the optical audio out of the satellite reciever to the Denon 3805? I know that HDMI is supposed to be both Digital Video and Audio so I'm not sure if you can use the optical audio and HDMI together? Anyone know how that works?

Scott

MikeNg

Second Unit
I'd run the sat box direct to the Panny (HDMI) and route the others through the Denon (component). Not sure how that model handles HD signals (if it will let you pass through say, a 720p signal from Xbox).

Ideally, everything gets connected directly to the video output device, but that may not be feasible in your situation.

I would avoid s-vid and composite if at all possible, with s-vid being the better of the two.

EDIT: Yes, you can also send digital audio to the Denon. That should work fine.

Scott R Thomas

Auditioning
Thanks Mike

How would I find out if it will pass a 720p signal through? It seems it would just pass whatever the xbox outputs through to the component output? Can anyone confirm this?

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks