Did I make a bad decision?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Denon DVD-1600 last week. I bought this unit mainly for DVD Audio, not for it's progressive scan abilities. (I don't have a progressive scan TV and don't plan on buying one anytime soon.) I'm very satisfied with it's performance. But I'm starting to regret my purchase.

I learned about the the Pioneer Elite DV-45A today. It looks like an excellent piece. For a difference of maybe $100, I could have this unit which offers everything the 1600 does plus SACD and a coaxial output.

Does anyone think I should return the 1600 and pick up the DV-45A?

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Yes, if you aren't using the prog scan, then the Denon 1600 is not a particularly good buy apart from being chroma bug free. It has appalling jitter so its audio is not good for a DVD-A plyer.
    I'd go for the Pioneer if you can afford it.

3. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Well now I have a question? I know that on boards like this you'll get differing opinions on any particular piece, however, I just got a few recommendations for the Denon 1600 on this board. I was looking at a few other Denon players within the same price range and was directed to the 1600.

The internals of the player sound very impressive (Burr-Brown, Faroudja, prog-scan...) and as you have stated no chroma bug.

The jitter you speak of, have you heard this first hand? Is it only on DVD-A? Any other issues with that player?

I'd like to make sure I don't regret my next purchase so any suggestions for better quality players with the same features and price range as the 1600 would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Peace,
    Aristides

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have a Denon 1600, and I am not certain what makes him say that the 1600 has "Appauling Jitter". It is a great piece of equipment, has some short comings but they are greatly outweighed by its strengths. One of which is it's ability with DVD-A. I have been testing out the Pioneer DV47 and I didn't think it was all that great. It does play both SACD and DVD-A but its sound quality didn't seem up to par with other players in its price range to me. But don't let what anyone writes on this message forum make up your mind for you. It is your money, the only way is to try it and see if you like it or you don't like it. You will see so many reviews of equipment on this board...one will say that the speakers is "TOO BRIGHT" another will say that the speaker "Too dull and Sounds like it has a wool blanket over top it". Who is right? Who knows, you should make the decision when you listen to it yourself. I bought the Denon DVD 1600 for $400+ and I am very happy with it.

5. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Thanks!

I understand that there would be differing opinions/descriptions of hardware especially speakers and televisions.

I guess I'll see if there's a chance for in-home trials so I can compare units using stable parameters with other equipment with which I'm familiar.

Thanks again for the input.

Aristides

6. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

If you have the opportunity to exchange the 1600 for the 45-A do consider it. I'm sure the 1600 is a very good DVD-A player but for the same money you can have the 45-A with SACD and bass management. For me it was an easy decision.

7. Paul Campbell

I would recommend finding The Absolute Sound's recent review of that peice, it might make you second guess that. I will give you a few quotes from the article, some of which comes from his comparisons of the Pioneer with it's "main competitor", the SONY DVP-S9000ES:

"On everything I played through the Pioneer, the spatial presentation was confined almost entirely to the speaker boundaries."

"The Pioneer's presentation of SACD material was more mechanicaland, dare I say it, "digital." Even with Sony's little $250 SCD-CE775, I heard much more of the natural timbres of vocals and instruments that are so striking on SACD."

Testing with DVD-A:

" In all cases, the Pioneer showed less resolution and a muted midrange character that made vocals sound bland and less involving"

The unit WAS however, given excellent marks for it's video quality.

And what's this about the Denon having so much Jitter? The one you heard must have been a factory defect or something.

8. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

There was a comparison done in HiFi Choice where they measured jitter levels of the Denon 1600 in the 3500 psec area. Good CD players have jitter in the sub 300 psec area. The measurement made sense in light of the flat CD presentation I heard when I auditioned this player.

The CD performance is affected much more than DVD-A since the compressed MLP format effectively requires buffering and reclocking of the extracted PCM.

9. Bipin_P

Bipin_P Stunt Coordinator

The TAS review was of the 47A. The unit that Mike mentioned is the just released 45A which from early reports sounds very different from the 47A.