Did I just royally f-up my computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeffrey Noel, May 27, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Idiot me screwed up my computer majorly just the other day. For some reason I went into the setup menu (hit delete key during start-up) just to look around in the advanced settings. First, I think I changed my system performance from optimal to aggressive. Then I think I changed the FSB from 100 to 200. And finally I saw a TV mode support option that was at disable and I changed it to either NTSC-M or NTSC-J. I did that because I thought since I was hooking up to my NTSC TV that's what it needed to be set to. Then it all went haywire. Nothing even shows on the monitor. Actually, my monitor does not even detece being sent a signal. The little green light stays at the amber/orangish color, which means there is not a signal.

So what in the hell do I do to get my computer back up in running? Would formatting my harddrive help anything?

I just built this computer a few months ago and have an "all-in-one" mother board. It's the WinFast K7 NCR18G-Pro socket A mobo by Leadtek. I also am using an Athlon XP 2000+ processor. Everything was purchased at Newegg.com.

Please help me! [​IMG]

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

unplug it from the power and pull the CMOS battery (if possible) to clear the CMOS settings. If not try hitting delete after powering the computer up repeatedly and see if it will bring the settings display up on the Monitor if not try to see if it will work on the TV.

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

You shouldn't have to pull the CMOS battery Jeffrey...if you check your mobo manual, you should have a CMOS jumper that you can just displace and then replace which should reset all of your BIOS settings to their default value. Give the computer some time, unplug it, clear the jumper, and then give it another shot, hopefully you'll be okay.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

God I think so oldschool[​IMG] hehe

5. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Joe, by following your procedures I was able to get the setup screen back, Woo-hoo! Thanks. But there is still a big problem. I did everything the mobo manual said to do with setup, I save and exit setup and then it goes to the Windows XP loading screen. After that the monitor goes off again. It's like it loses the signal. Did I skip a step or what? Or is there something else I have to do?

Thanks again for the help!

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Did you load and save the "setup defaults" in the bios??

7. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

You've probably set your video card to a setting that is incompatible with your monitor in Windows. Before your Windows loading screen appears, hold F8. You should get a menu of options, one of which is to boot into "Safe mode." From there, adjust your video settings back to a "monitor-safe" mode and reboot.

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Oh wow.

9. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

Do as Brentl suggests, get back to bios setup screen and use the default setup mode. When you hit the "aggressive" settings you changed the memory timing. Changing the FSB from 100 to 200 may have possibly done some damage. Note I say POSSIBLY. You may need to manually change that setting back to 100. Not knowing what your particular hardware makes the settings for your bios impossible to quote.

10. Nate Wh

Nate Wh Agent

wow, now that's some agressive overclocking [​IMG]. The windows safe mode startup should fix it.. then you should be able to startup normally after that..

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Make sure that you load all the setup defaults for the BIOS then save and restart.

KyleS